Obama says aliens are 'real' but chance of contact with them unlikely
Former U.S. President Barack Obama said aliens are “real,” but emphasised that he never encountered any indication of extraterrestrial contact whi...
Israel has recovered the remains of the last remaining hostage held in Gaza, the military said on Monday, fulfilling a key condition of the initial phase of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the Palestinian territory.
U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed the recovery in a post on his Truth Social platform, calling it an “amazing job” and saying all living and deceased hostages had now been returned.
“Just recovered the last hostage body in Gaza. Thus, got back all 20 of the living hostages, and all of the dead,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform. “Most thought of it as an impossible thing to do.”
“With this, all hostages have been returned from the Gaza Strip,” the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said, adding that Gvili’s body would be brought back to Israel for burial.
Gvili, a 24-year-old Israeli police officer, had been held in Gaza for more than 840 days. He was killed while fighting Hamas militants during the 7 October attack, despite being off duty and recovering from an injury at the time.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the recovery as “an unbelievable achievement for the State of Israel,” adding, “Rani is a hero of Israel, who went in first and emerged last.”
The recovery of Gvili’s remains removes a key obstacle to reopening the Rafah Crossing, Gaza’s main gateway to the outside world. Israeli officials had previously insisted the crossing would remain closed until the final hostage was returned.
Netanyahu’s office later confirmed that Israel would reopen Rafah, which has been largely closed since May 2024.
A U.S.-backed Palestinian committee of technocrats expected to administer Gaza said the crossing is likely to open this week, though Israeli officials did not provide a specific timeline.
Next phase of deal
Gvili was among 251 hostages seized during the October 7 attack, which killed about 1,200 people and triggered a two-year Israeli offensive in Gaza. At the time a ceasefire was agreed in October, 48 hostages remained in Gaza, 28 of them believed dead.
The return of all remaining hostages, both living and deceased, was a core commitment of the first phase of the ceasefire deal, though other elements have yet to be implemented.
The next phase of the 20-point ceasefire plan is expected to include the establishment of an international stabilisation force, the formation of a technocratic Palestinian government, and the disarmament of Hamas.
In a statement, Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem said the discovery of Gvili’s remains confirmed the group’s commitment to the agreement.
“We will continue to uphold all aspects of the agreement, including facilitating the work of the national Gaza administration and ensuring its success,” Qassem said.
Israel had repeatedly accused Hamas of delaying the recovery of the final hostage, while Hamas maintained that it had provided all available information and accused Israel of obstructing searches in areas under its control. The IDF said the search took place in the area near the “Yellow Line” that divides Gaza.
Since the ceasefire took effect on 10 October, 2025, Israel has received 20 living hostages and the remains of 27 others. In exchange, it has returned the bodies of hundreds of Palestinians to Gaza.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani said the United States could evaluate its own interests separately from those of Israel in ongoing negotiations between Tehran and Washington.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday (15 February) called it “troubling” a report by five European allies blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using a toxin from poison dart frogs.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Norway is holding a commanding lead in the medal standings with 12 golds and a total of 26, with Italy having an historic performance on home soil on the ninth day of the Milano-Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday (15 February).
Iran is pursuing a nuclear agreement with the U.S. that delivers economic benefits for both sides, an Iranian diplomat was reported as saying on Sunday (15 February), days before a second round of talks between Tehran and Washington.
President Donald Trump said he will be involved “indirectly” in nuclear negotiations between the United States and Iran scheduled for Tuesday in Geneva, as both sides resume diplomacy against a backdrop of military pressure and deep mistrust.
Israeli airstrikes on southern Lebanon killed two people in the past 12 hours, Lebanon’s Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
Jordan’s King Abdullah II warned on Monday that what he described as “illegal” Israeli measures in the occupied West Bank risk undermining de-escalation efforts and inflaming regional tensions.
Ankara has condemned an Israeli plan to register large areas of the occupied West Bank as state property, a move widely criticised internationally and described by the UN and the International Court of Justice as inconsistent with international law governing occupied territories.
Kyrgyz President Sadyr Japarov has moved swiftly to consolidate his authority following the dismissal of his long-time ally Kamchybek Tashiev, head of the State Committee for National Security (SCNS).
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment