Netanyahu seeks pardon and insists on innocence in corruption case
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has submitted an official request for a pardon to President Isaac Herzog, the president’s office said o...
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has submitted an official request for a pardon to President Isaac Herzog, the president’s office said on Sunday.
Netanyahu is currently on trial for corruption and has pleaded not guilty. The trial, which began in 2020, is still ongoing, and Netanyahu has long claimed the charges are part of a left-wing plot to remove him from power.
Herzog’s office called the request “extraordinary” and said it carried “significant implications”. It added that the president would consider it “responsibly and sincerely” after reviewing all relevant opinions. There was no immediate comment from Netanyahu’s office.
As part of the background to the case, Herzog’s office confirmed last week that it had received a letter from U.S. President Donald Trump urging him to consider granting Netanyahu a pardon. Trump has repeatedly voiced support for Netanyahu, calling the charges a “political, unjustified prosecution”.
Herzog’s office said that any pardon must follow formal procedures. Trump also urged Herzog to issue a pardon during a visit to Israel in October, when he addressed parliament in Jerusalem.
Netanyahu was indicted in 2019 in three cases, including allegations of receiving nearly 700,000 shekels ($211,832) in gifts from businessmen. Although the president’s role is mainly ceremonial, Herzog has the authority to grant pardons in unusual circumstances.
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop striking the Black Sea terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) after a major drone attack forced a halt to exports and caused serious damage to loading equipment.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
More than 600 people have died and over 4 million have been affected after a rare tropical storm brought a week of heavy rain, floods and landslides to Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia, as rescue teams struggle to reach isolated communities.
Pope Leo travels to Lebanon on Sunday to deliver an appeal for peace in a country repeatedly struck by Israeli air raids, completing the second and final leg of his first overseas trip as head of the Catholic Church.
Four people have been killed and 14 injured after shots were fired at a child’s birthday party in Stockton, California. Police say the attack may have been targeted, but the investigation is still ongoing and no suspect has been identified.
Pompeii's ancient Roman frescoes, shattered and buried for centuries, could get a second life thanks to a pioneering robotic system designed to support archaeologists in one of their most painstaking tasks: reassembling fragmented artefacts.
Hondurans will go to the polls on Sunday, November 30, 2025, in a tightly contested presidential election marked by heated accusations of fraud.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment