Zelenskyy rejects EU “associate membership” proposal
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membe...
European Union stands with its member states in the face of any threat, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in response to the drone strike that hit Britain's Royal Air Force base of Akrotiri in southern Cyprus overnight.
"While the Republic of Cyprus was not the target, let me be clear: we stand collectively, firmly and unequivocally with our Member States in the face of any threat," von der Leyen said in a post on X on Monday.
Her comments comes as Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides said in a speech that the Shahed-type unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) caused minor damage when it crashed into the military facilities at 12:03 a.m.
It was not immediately clear from where the Iranian-made Shahed had been fired. Two sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the British bases intercepted a second drone, but one of the sources later said it was 'one drone'.
"All the competent services of the republic are on alert and in full operational readiness," Christodoulides said.
The strike, which hit a runway, was the first attack on the military facility since a rocket attack by Libyan militants in 1986. It shook the east Mediterranean island, a holiday hotspot and home to thousands of foreign companies.
Von der Leyen's comment comes as the European Commission’s security college is scheduled to meet on Monday to consider its response to the escalating situation in the Middle East.
Meanwhile the European Commission has asked member states to share oil security of their supply assessments by the end of the day. It's also considering convening an ad-hoc meeting of its oil coordination group later this week. But it says it doesn't see any immediate oil security of supply impacting the EU.
Security meetings
EU foreign ministers held an emergency online meeting late Sunday to discuss regional stability.
She said, that "Iranian strikes in Manama were unjustified and unacceptable, I told Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa of Bahrain."
Von der Leyen said she spoke to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman saying she would work closely to de-escalate and safeguard regional stability.
Following the emergency talks, EU top diplomat Kaja Kallas warned against the prospect of further military escalation that could destabilise the broader region. She emphasised the critical need to keep key waterways open, specifically noting the Strait of Hormuz, which serves as a vital transit route for global energy supplies.
In response to the growing security threat, several European countries said they're drafting contingency plans to evacuate their citizens from the Middle East. Hundreds of thousands of European nationals are currently believed to be in the affected area, either in transit or on holiday.
To manage the logistical challenges, member states are expected to collaborate and share resources, utilising joint extraction flights to safely remove their citizens from the region before commercial airspace faces wider closures.
In a separate development regarding European defence, French President Emmanuel Macron is scheduled to deliver a highly anticipated speech on nuclear deterrence on Monday afternoon. The address comes as European nations reassess their own defence capabilities and security strategies amid rising global military conflicts.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 22nd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected a German proposal to grant Ukraine “associate” membership of the European Union, warning it would leave Kyiv without a meaningful voice in the bloc.
The United States is stepping up its efforts to rebuild ties with India, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio using his visit to New Delhi to promote energy cooperation.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, in what is the country's deadliest mining accident in 17 years. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
SpaceX has completed a successful test flight of Starship V3, the largest and most powerful rocket in history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment