Iran orders enriched uranium to stay in country amid U.S. talks
Iran’s Supreme Leader has issued a directive that the country’s near-weapons-grade enriched uranium must not be sent abroad, according ...
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
The ruling overturns a 2023 lower court decision that cleared both companies of blame for the disaster, in which 228 people were killed when an Airbus A330 plunged into the Atlantic during a storm.
Relatives of the victims listened in silence as the verdict was delivered. For some, it brought a sense of long-awaited recognition. Daniele Lamy, Head of the AF447 victims’ association, whose son died in the crash, said justice had been served.
The court imposed the maximum fine for corporate manslaughter, €225,000 ($261,720) on each company, a penalty widely seen as symbolic given the scale of the firms involved. However, families have argued that accountability and reputational consequences matter more than financial sanctions.
Both Airbus and Air France said they would challenge the decision in France’s highest court, signalling that the legal battle is far from over. Lawyers have warned that further appeals could prolong proceedings for years, and another full retrial cannot be ruled out.
The case has long exposed divisions over what caused the crash. A civil aviation investigation previously concluded that pilot error, following confusion linked to iced-up speed sensors, led to the aircraft stalling.
Prosecutors, however, argued that deeper failures within both the airline and the manufacturer contributed to the tragedy, including shortcomings in training and a lack of adequate response to known technical issues.
To secure convictions, prosecutors needed to prove not only negligence but also a direct link between those failings and the crash, a threshold that had not been met in earlier proceedings.
The verdict is the latest chapter in one of France’s most complex and closely watched aviation cases, with families continuing to seek answers and accountability nearly two decades after the disaster.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics is facing its largest potential labour action in years, with tens of thousands of workers preparing for a prolonged strike over bonuses and profit-sharing at a time when the company is benefiting from a global artificial intelligence (AI) driven chip boom.
Nigeria’s anti-drug agency says it has dismantled a methamphetamine production syndicate in what officials describe as the country’s largest drugs seizure of its kind.
After many years, reams of regulatory paperwork and a well-timed presidential visit, Tesla has finally launched its Full Self-Driving (FSD) system in China, the world’s largest electric vehicle market and one in which competitors have been rapidly advancing their autonomous driving capabilities.
Activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla detained by Israel at sea have been released from prison and are expected to be deported to Türkiye, officials confirmed on Thursday.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
Russia pledged support for Cuba on Thursday after the U.S. indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges linked to the 1996 downing of exile planes, escalating tensions between Washington and Havana.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment