U.S. and Iran send mixed signals on peace talks as Qatari negotiators arrive in Tehran
The U.S. and Iran have given mixed signals about progress in peace talks, after U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “some...
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday at 19:29 local time (11:39 GMT) at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
There were 247 workers underground at the time of the explosion.The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Rescuers are continuing searches for the missing miners.
Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.
Chinese President Xi Jinping called on authorities to “spare no effort” in search and rescue operations and in treating the injured. He also ordered a full investigation into the incident and said authorities must draw lessons from the accident.
China’s coal mining industry was once among the deadliest in the world, but fatalities have fallen significantly since the early 2000s following stricter safety regulations.
Authorities have shut down smaller mines with limited safety standards and invested in other operations to improve conditions.
The Liushenyu incident is one of China’s deadliest mining disasters in more than a decade.
Azerbaijan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs shared its condolences with China.
"We are deeply saddened by the tragic explosion at the coal mine in Shanxi Province of China, which resulted in the loss of many lives and injuries," the Ministry said in a statement on X.
"We extend our heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives and wish a swift and full recovery to all those injured."
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment