Hungary, Slovakia suspend diesel exports to Ukraine amid pipeline dispute
Hungary and Slovakia announced a suspension of diesel exports to Ukraine on Wednesday....
Kazakhstan lost around 3.8 million tonnes of oil exports following an attack on facilities of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC), Energy Minister Yerlan Akkenzhenov said, stressing that it is still too early to assess the losses in monetary terms.
According to the minister, the impact of the incident was significant but limited in scope and did not affect the country’s overall performance for 2025.
The attack on CPC facilities took place on 29 November, when unmanned boats destroyed offshore loading unit number 2 in the waters of the port of Novorossiysk. Around 80% of Kazakhstan’s oil exports are transported via the Caspian Pipeline Consortium.
The Kazakh government placed the situation under special supervision, and the country’s foreign ministry lodged an official protest.
Subsequently, some of the oil from the Kashagan field was temporarily redirected to China.
Summing up the final results for the year, Akkenzhenov noted that Kazakhstan met its oil production and export targets, while some segments even exceeded planned figures, despite temporary disruptions to key export infrastructure. On an annual basis, he said, the country incurred no net losses, largely due to rapid operational adjustments and the redistribution of export flows.
Commenting on the circumstances of the attack, the minister emphasised that the tankers operating near the damaged CPC facilities were not part of what is often described as the “shadow fleet”. The strikes did not lead to a suspension of oil shipments, he said, but did result in higher insurance costs for vessels, adding pressure to export logistics and increasing transportation expenses.
At the time of the year-end assessment, the CPC was operating with two offshore loading units. Numbers 1 and 3 were functioning steadily, allowing the terminal to load up to two tankers per day, while unit number 2, which was damaged in the attack, remained in a semi-submerged state. According to Akkenzhenov, repair work was hampered by adverse weather conditions typical of the winter season on the Black Sea, where wave heights often exceed 2.5 metres and have previously forced the terminal to slow operations.
The minister explained that offshore loading unit number 2 sustained a breach measuring approximately 3.5 by 2 metres, making it impossible to restore buoyancy and conduct a full assessment of its internal systems within a short timeframe. Severe weather and strong internal currents remained the main obstacles. As a compensatory measure, the Ministry of Energy ordered two new offshore loading units from the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, in December 2025, Akkenzhenov said the initial consequences of the attack had resulted in the loss of around 480 000 tonnes of oil, acknowledging the direct impact on CPC infrastructure. Additional losses were also recorded at the Tengiz oil field, where output shortfalls amounted to approximately 900 000 tonnes, according to the ministry.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Representatives of Ukraine, Russia and the United States are set to meet in Geneva for a third round of trilateral negotiations aimed at ending the nearly four-year war, even as both sides intensify military pressure on the ground.
President Donald Trump said he will be involved “indirectly” in nuclear negotiations between the United States and Iran in Geneva, as both sides resume diplomacy against a backdrop of military pressure and deep mistrust.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday that $5 billion pledged by member states of the Gaza Peace Council will be directed towards the reconstruction of Gaza.
Two Palestinians were killed on the first day of Ramadan after Israeli forces opened fire in the Gaza Strip, according to local sources and hospital officials.
Aghdam’s Qarabag experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie.
British Steel has secured a multi-million-pound order to supply rail for a major high-speed railway in Türkiye. Backed by UK Export Finance, the deal will see 36,000 tonnes of rail used on a 599km line between Ankara and İzmir, prompting the company to resume round-the-clock production.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment