live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Paramount has reaffirmed its bid to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery, offering $30 per share in cash and backing the proposal with a $40.4 billion personal equity guarantee from billionaire Larry Ellison, despite the target company’s board urging shareholders to reject the offer.
In a statement issued on Monday, Paramount said it remains committed to purchasing 100% of Warner Bros. Discovery’s outstanding shares, a move that would see it assume all of the company’s assets and liabilities. The offer values Warner Bros. Discovery at an enterprise value of approximately $108.4 billion.
To strengthen its proposal, Paramount confirmed that Larry Ellison, founder of Oracle and controlling shareholder of the company, has provided an irrevocable personal guarantee covering potential claims against Paramount, alongside equity financing worth $40.4 billion. The guarantee is intended to address concerns raised by Warner Bros. Discovery during negotiations.
Ellison, one of the world’s wealthiest individuals and the father of Paramount’s chief executive, David Ellison, has played a central role in backing the takeover bid. He has also committed not to revoke or transfer assets from the Ellison Family Trust while negotiations continue, removing what Warner’s board had cited as a key risk factor.
The renewed bid follows Warner Bros. Discovery’s decision earlier this month to reach an agreement with Netflix involving its studio and streaming assets, a transaction valued at around $82–83 billion. That agreement would separate Warner’s cable television networks from its core content operations, a structure Paramount has criticised, arguing that its proposal preserves the company as a single, integrated media group.
Despite Paramount raising its proposed regulatory reverse termination fee to $5.8 billion to match Netflix’s offer, Warner Bros. Discovery’s board has formally urged shareholders to reject Paramount’s bid. The board said the Netflix transaction provides greater execution certainty, while Paramount maintains its offer delivers superior long-term value.
Paramount has rejected claims that its financing lacked credibility, stating that concerns about the Ellison family trust were not raised during more than two months of prior negotiations. David Ellison described the $30-per-share proposal as the strongest option available to maximise shareholder value.
Investors appeared to respond positively to the revised offer. Shares in Warner Bros. Discovery rose by more than 3% in afternoon trading on Monday, narrowing the gap to Paramount’s offer price. Paramount shares also gained, while Netflix stock edged lower.
Paramount has extended its tender offer deadline to January 21, 2026, appealing directly to Warner Bros. Discovery shareholders while bypassing a board that continues to support the Netflix agreement. Any successful transaction, however, would face extensive regulatory scrutiny, with antitrust reviews likely to extend well into 2026 given the scale of the proposed merger.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment