live Trump says U.S. not seeking to extend interim deal with Iran
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with...
On Thursday (5 March) four drones were directed towards Azerbaijan's Nakhchivan region, according to the Ministry of Defence. Here is what we know so far.
One of the drones was intercepted by air defence systems, two struck the terminal of the international airport, and one landed near an educational institution in the village of Shekerabad, in the western Babek district.
Four people were injured during the airport strike: three staff on duty and one passenger waiting to board a plane. They were taken to hospital for treatment and observation. Initial reports from investigators say the drones were equipped with remotely controlled explosive warheads.
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev blamed Iran for the strikes, labelling them “a terrorist act.”
“The Azerbaijani state strongly condemns this ugly terrorist act, and those who committed it must be immediately held accountable. The Azerbaijani side must be given an explanation by Iranian officials, an apology must be made, and those who committed this terrorist act must be held criminally liable,” Aliyev demanded.
“Our Armed Forces were instructed to prepare and implement retaliatory measures,” the President added. “All necessary measures will be taken through diplomatic channels. Our Armed Forces - the Ministry of Defence, the State Border Service, and all other Special Forces have been put on the number one mobilisation and must be ready to carry out any operation.”
Following the strikes, Azerbaijan's Cabinet of Ministers announced a decision to temporarily, but completely, suspend the movement of trucks (including the movement of trucks for transit purposes) from all border crossing points on the Azerbaijan-Iran state border.
Aliyev stressed that the territory of Azerbaijan will not be used against any neighbouring state and said the Iranian ambassador had been summoned, with further diplomatic steps expected.
Later on Thursday, a press release announced Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, had called his Azerbaijani counterpart, Jeyhun Bayramov. Bayramov strongly condemned the strikes, saying that they contradict the norms and principles of international law and serve to increase tension in the region.
Araghchi expressed concern about the incident and said Iran has launched an investigation. Iran denies its drones were involved.
Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General’s Office has also opened an investigation over the drone strikes. The criminal case includes technical investigations to determine the origin and flight path of the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
“All circumstances of this attack, which was carried out against the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan in violation of the norms and principles of international law, will be investigated objectively, thoroughly, and comprehensively within the framework of the preliminary investigation, and the necessary measures will be taken to ensure that the perpetrators are held accountable in accordance with the law,” the Prosecutor General's Office told Azertag.
The Office underlined that the targeting of civilians and strategic infrastructure is “a gross violation of the fundamental principles of international humanitarian law.”
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Iran says it will use all diplomatic and legal channels to determine the fate of three Air Force pilots it believes are being held in Qatar after their fighter jets were downed during the March war.
Kazakhstan has launched a unified digital platform to track coal supplies in real time, giving officials a clearer view of production, shipments, stocks and prices ahead of the heating season.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s push to end the war in Gaza returned to the diplomatic arena on Sunday (16 August), as his envoys met Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo while Israeli strikes continued across the strip.
At least 11 people, including three children and two women, were killed in Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon on Saturday, according to Lebanese authorities, in one of the deadliest escalations since a U.S.-mediated framework was agreed between Lebanon and Israel.
As the countries of the Turkic world seek deeper economic integration, the Turkic Investment Fund (TIF) is positioning itself as a key financial vehicle for turning political cooperation into tangible development projects.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment