Syrian court sentences Assad’s cousin to death for crimes against humanity
A Syrian court on Tuesday sentenced Wassim al-Assad, a cousin of ousted President Bashar al-Assad, to death for crimes against humanity and war cri...
Syria has announced a four-day ceasefire with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) after rapid government advances across the northeast.
Damascus gave the SDF four days to submit an integration plan, including naming a candidate for assistant to the defence minister. The SDF said it accepted the agreement and “would not engage in any military action unless attacked.”
The government said it would not enter Hasakah or Qamishli during the four-day window while awaiting the SDF’s proposal.
The advances mark the largest change in territorial control since rebels ousted Bashar al-Assad 13 months ago. Northeast Syria, home to Kurds and Arabs and once overrun by IS, remains highly sensitive for regional powers, particularly Türkiye. Since Assad’s overthrow in December 2024, the country has been led by Ahmed al-Sharaa, a former rebel commander with close ties to Ankara.
Türkiye, the main foreign supporter of Syria’s new government, has welcomed Damascus’ gains and continued to demand that the SDF disband, disarm and integrate into state institutions. Ankara regards the SDF as an extension of the PKK, which has fought a four-decade insurgency against the Turkish state.
Tensions with the SDF intensified this month after talks stalled over the group’s future. The SDF agreed on Sunday (18 January) to withdraw from Raqqa and Deir al Zor, and government forces moved into Hasakah province on Monday. President Recep Tayyib Erdoğan's office said “a Syria that is developing with all of its elements, is rid of terror and in peace will contribute to the region’s stability.”
Reports indicated that SDF commander Mazloum Abdi and Ahmed al-Sharaa held a rocky meeting after Abdi’s signature appeared on a 14-point agreement with the government. Syrian military sources said government troops advanced in eastern Hasakah province and south of Kobani. The SDF remains in control of Hasakah City, which is ethnically mixed, and Qamishli, a Kurdish-majority city.
A U.S. official said about 200 low-level IS fighters escaped Shaddadi prison after the SDF withdrew. The Syrian Interior Ministry said 120 detainees escaped and 81 were recaptured. The SDF also withdrew from al-Hol camp near the Iraqi border. A senior Syrian defence official said Damascus had notified the United States of the SDF's intention to withdraw and that government troops were ready to deploy. The SDF has previously said it was guarding some 10,000 IS fighters.
U.S. envoy Tom Barrack described the Syrian offer of integration, including citizenship rights, cultural protections and political participation, as “the greatest opportunity” the Kurds have.
Washington had previously supported the SDF as its main local ally battling Islamic State. However, he said the original purpose of the SDF had “largely expired” and that the United States had no long-term interest in remaining in Syria. The U.S. said its partnership with the SDF had changed in nature after Syria’s new government emerged and urged the group to accept the offer.
Washington said it was monitoring events with “grave concern” and called on all sides to negotiate in “good faith.”
President Donald Trump said al-Sharaa was “working very hard” and that he had discussed with him the issue of detention facilities holding IS fighters.
“We are trying to protect the Kurds,” Trump said, adding that the Kurds “were paid tremendous amounts of money, were given oil and other things.”
Trump also spoke with Turkish President Erdoğan on Tuesday (20 January). Trump described the discussion as a “very good call,” while Erdoğan's office said he told Trump that Syria’s unity, harmony and territorial integrity were important for Türkiye.
Erdoğan said Türkiye was closely following developments in Syria and discussed with Trump “the situation of the Islamic State prisoners in the Syrian prisons.” He also thanked Trump for inviting him to join the "Board of Peace" and said Türkiye would continue coordinating with Washington on efforts to achieve peace in Gaza.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing influence far beyond its size, analyst Ahmad Alili says.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking to boost fuel imports from China as it looks to diversify supplies and reduce the risks of its heavy reliance on Russia.
At least 42 children were injured in an explosion at an educational centre in western Kabul on Monday, sparking international calls for a full investigation.
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure on supply chains and the wider economy.
Azerbaijan has summoned Russia’s ambassador in Baku over recent Russian media comments it described as insulting, provocative and threatening towards the country, its people and leadership.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment