Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
NATO air-defence systems in the Eastern Mediterranean “neutralised” a third ballistic missile fired towards Türkiye, the Turkish Defence Ministry said on Friday.
In a statement, the ministry said “all necessary measures” were being taken “against any threat directed at our country’s territory and airspace.”
In a presumable reference to Iran, it added: “Consultations are being conducted with the relevant country to clarify all aspects of the incident.”
In a statement released shortly afterwards, a NATO spokesperson said the alliance “remains vigilant and stands firm in its defence of all allies”.
It was the third ballistic missile to be fired at NATO member Türkiye - and successfully intercepted - within the past nine days.
Following two previous interceptions on 4 March and 9 March, the Iranian military denied that its forces had launched any munitions towards Turkish territory or airspace.
Hours before the latest incident, sirens were heard at İncirlik Air Base in Türkiye’s southern Adana province, which hosts a contingent of U.S. military personnel, according to Turkish state media.
Soon afterwards, video footage began circulating online that appeared to show a missile being shot down over the skies of Adana.
As of publication, no official statements had been issued regarding the footage.
However, some local media outlets have claimed the video is fake, asserting that no missile activity in the area had been reported.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Turkish Defence Ministry stressed that İncirlik is a Turkish-owned and operated military base hosting Turkish F-16 fighter jets, tanker aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles.
“The presence of American soldiers there does not mean it is an American base,” the statement read. “Spanish, Polish and Qatari military personnel are also stationed there.”
On Thursday, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Türkiye was making “intensive efforts” to end the ongoing regional war but was nevertheless prepared for “any scenario.”
Speaking alongside his German counterpart, Fidan also voiced Ankara’s staunch opposition to any attempt to “provoke civil war in Iran and fuel conflicts along ethnic or religious lines”.
He described the Israeli-U.S. attack on Iran - which triggered the war almost two weeks ago - as “unprovoked, unjust and unlawful.”
At the same time, he said Iranian strikes on neighbouring countries, especially the Gulf Arab states, were “equally wrong.”
Fidan said Iran’s territorial integrity should be respected, asserting that “goals like regime change should not be pursued”.
He also decried continued Israeli attacks on Lebanon, the collapse of which, the diplomat warned, “would deeply affect the entire region, especially neighbouring countries.”
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following a major overhaul of the country’s parliamentary system.
Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan have elevated bilateral ties with a Treaty on Eternal Friendship signed by Presidents Ilham Aliyev and Shavkat Mirziyoyev in Tashkent on 23 August. The leaders also agreed to expand trade, investment, transport, and regional cooperation.
Syria has called for international action after an Israeli drone strike hit a civilian vehicle near Damascus, warning that continued Israeli attacks could deepen instability and put civilians at greater risk.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment