live Russia says drone attack damages logistics hub in Samara region
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, accordin...
The U.S. Defense Department has released dozens of previously classified files on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP) on Friday (8 May), following an order from President Donald Trump. U.S. officials described as a push for “unprecedented transparency”.
The release includes around 160 documents, photos and videos covering decades of alleged UFO sightings, though analysts say many of the materials had already been partially disclosed in earlier government releases.
The Pentagon said the declassification process will continue, with additional material expected in future tranches.
Among the newly published records is a 1947 report describing “flying discs”, along with imagery from NASA’s Apollo missions, including Apollo 12 and Apollo 17.
A transcript from Apollo 17 includes astronaut Ronald Evans describing “very bright particles or fragments” observed during lunar manoeuvres, which mission control acknowledged at the time.
However, experts note that such observations have long been attributed to space debris, optical effects, or asteroid impacts on the lunar surface.
While the release has renewed public interest in UFOs, analysts say the documents do not provide evidence of alien technology or extraterrestrial life.
Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb said the records reflect the government’s continued collection of UAP data but do not confirm non-human origins.
“I think we've already proven the existence of UAP, but that doesn't mean we've proven they're alien,” said journalist Leslie Kean, who has reported extensively on Pentagon UAP programmes.
UFO researcher Mick West said many of the newly released materials resemble earlier disclosures and show difficulty in identifying distant or unclear objects rather than evidence of advanced technology.
The release has been welcomed by some lawmakers, including U.S. Representatives Tim Burchett and Anna Paulina Luna, who have advocated for declassification of UAP-related material.
Luna said further documents are expected within the next month.
However, critics suggested the timing of the release could serve as a political distraction from other controversies facing the Trump administration, including foreign policy tensions and ongoing calls for additional transparency in unrelated investigations.
Former congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene dismissed the release as a “shiny object” distraction from pressing political issues.
Despite scepticism, officials say the declassification effort will continue as part of broader efforts to increase public access to historical defence records involving unexplained aerial phenomena.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a boat carrying migrants sank off the Tunisian coast while attempting to reach Italy, according to the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.
AnewZ has launched Business Europe, a new weekday programme examining the companies, decision-makers and economic forces shaping the continent's future, with Brickken CEO Edwin Mata joining the first episode.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment