Morning Brief - 17 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
The Trump administration has told Congress it does not expect to complete delivery of the remaining $400 million in military aid for Ukraine until 2029, despite Kyiv facing weapons shortage needed to defend against Russian missile attacks.
The United States has bombed Iran for an 11th consecutive night as the Pentagon says the war’s cost reach $37.5 billion. President Donald Trump threatens a heavy strike on the suspected Pickaxe Mountain nuclear site. Tehran warns that any attack could trigger a wider regional escalation.
The United States has added some of China's biggest technology and automotive companies, including Alibaba, Baidu, BYD and Nio, to a Pentagon list of firms it believes are linked to Beijing's military.
The U.S. Defense Department has released dozens of previously classified files on unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP) on Friday (8 May), following an order from President Donald Trump. U.S. officials described as a push for “unprecedented transparency”.
The U.S. military said on 8 May that it struck a vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean, killing two people and leaving one survivor, in the latest in a series of controversial maritime operations targeting suspected drug trafficking routes.
Germany has said a planned reduction of U.S. troops should push Europe to take greater responsibility for its own defence, as concerns grow in Washington over the impact of the move on regional security.
The United States is withdrawing 5,000 troops from NATO ally Germany, the Pentagon announced on Friday, as a rift over the Iran war widens between President Donald Trump and Europe.
A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday declined to block the Pentagon’s national security blacklisting of Anthropic for now, handing a win to the Trump administration after a separate appeals court reached the opposite conclusion.
The Trump administration is reportedly reviewing plans to deploy up to 10,000 additional U.S. troops to the Middle East, raising tensions even as Washington engages in delicate negotiations with Iran.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth says the United States is making gains in its conflict with Iran after a key Iranian naval target was destroyed, confirming that the strike was carried out by a U.S. submarine off the coast of Sri Lanka. Rescue efforts are now under way for the ship’s crew.
The U.S. military's Central Command said on Tuesday that Iran has launched over 500 ballistic missiles and over 2,000 drones in its retaliatory attacks throughout the Middle East so far.
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Australia will spend A$3.9bn to build a new shipyard for AUKUS nuclear-powered submarines, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced, marking a major step in the trilateral defence pact with the U.S. and Britain.
U.S. military forces have seized a sanctioned oil tanker in the Indian Ocean after tracking the vessel from the Caribbean Sea, the Pentagon said on Monday.
A Pentagon investigation has raised concerns over U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the Signal app on his personal device to transmit sensitive information regarding planned U.S. strikes in Yemen, potentially compromising U.S. military operations.
The Pentagon on Monday threatened to recall U.S. Senator Mark Kelly, a retired Navy captain, to active duty status in order to prosecute him after what it described as seditious behavior by the former astronaut and decorated veteran.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for 1 November, covering the latest developments you need to know.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday ordered the U.S. military to immediately resume testing nuclear weapons for the first time in 33 years, minutes before meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping in South Korea.Trump made the surprise announcement on Truth Social while aboard his Marine One helicopt
US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth’s plane made an emergency landing in the United Kingdom after a crack appeared in the aircraft’s windshield during his return flight from a NATO meeting in Belgium.
The Pentagon recommitted itself in a statement on Tuesday to scaling back its military mission in Iraq, a process that a U.S. official said will see Baghdad command efforts to combat remnants of Islamic State inside its own country.
U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth on Sunday ordered 200 Oregon National Guard troops to be placed under federal command, as the state of Oregon launched a lawsuit against President Donald Trump’s decision to deploy military forces in Portland, a city led by Democrats.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth met Singapore’s Defence Minister Chan Chun Sing on Tuesday to discuss military cooperation and security in the Asia-Pacific region.
The Pentagon has reportedly been blocking Ukraine's use of U.S.-made ATACMS missiles to strike targets inside Russia, limiting Kyiv's defense capabilities, as President Donald Trump grows increasingly frustrated over the stalled peace process with Moscow.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.