live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
The Department of Defense has initiated an investigation into recent unauthorized disclosures of national security information, announcing that polygraph tests will be used as part of the probe, according to a memo published on the department’s website on Friday.
DOD Chief of Staff Joe Kasper wrote in the memo, “The use of polygraphs in the execution of this investigation will be in accordance with applicable law and policy.” He added that the inquiry would begin immediately and conclude with a report to the Secretary of Defense, with any information identifying a party responsible for the leak referred for criminal prosecution.
The investigation comes on the heels of controversy sparked by a New York Times report suggesting that DOGE head Elon Musk was briefed on U.S. military plans for a potential war with China during his visit to the Pentagon on Friday. President Donald Trump had pushed back on the report, insisting that such plans would not be shared “with anybody,” while Pentagon officials dismissed the story on social media. Musk, however, did meet with Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth for over an hour on Friday.
This move marks the latest in a series of government efforts to use polygraph tests as a tool in leak investigations. Earlier this month, Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem announced that her department would continue using polygraphs—including questions about media leaks—after identifying two leakers within the agency. “We plan to prosecute these two individuals and hold them accountable for what they’ve done,” Noem said in a video posted on X.
In related news, the Department of Justice announced its own probe on Friday into what it termed “the selective leak of inaccurate, but nevertheless classified” information related to the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua. Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche stated, “We will not tolerate politically motivated efforts by the Deep State to undercut President Trump’s agenda by leaking false information,” adding that the legal process would address these actions under the Alien Enemies Proclamation.
With multiple agencies now scrutinizing leak-related activities, the Pentagon’s use of polygraphs underscores a broader government initiative to clamp down on unauthorized disclosures and safeguard sensitive national security information.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment