live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
The Pentagon confirmed that one Iranian ballistic missile struck the U.S. Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar last month, causing minimal damage. Most missiles were intercepted by U.S. and Qatari air defenses during the largest Patriot missile engagement in U.S. history.
The Pentagon said on Friday that an Iranian ballistic missile hit the U.S. Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar on June 23. The remainder of the missiles fired were intercepted by U.S. and Qatari air defence systems.
Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell confirmed the missile caused minimal damage to equipment and structures, with no injuries reported.
Al Udeid Air Base remains fully operational, working alongside Qatari partners to maintain regional security.
The missile barrage marked a significant escalation after the U.S. targeted Iranian nuclear sites on June 21.
U.S. Central Command said American and Qatari forces successfully defended against the attack.
Gen. Dan Caine, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, described the response as the largest single Patriot missile engagement in U.S. military history, noting extensive missile launches but without specifying exact numbers.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August will put Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
South African human rights and environmental groups have urged the government to block Israeli-linked Navitas Petroleum from acquiring a stake in a major offshore oil block, citing concerns over the war in Gaza and environmental risks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment