live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
Seven countries have condemned Israel’s decision to open construction tenders for more than 1,200 homes under its E1 settlement project in the West Bank, warning the move could further undermine prospects for a two-state solution.
The United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway issued a joint statement on Thursday calling Israel’s decision to publish construction tenders for the E1 project “unacceptable”.
The countries said the development would undermine prospects for a two-state solution by dividing the West Bank and damaging the territorial continuity of Palestinian areas.
“At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning,” the statement said.
The seven countries called on the Israeli government to withdraw the plans immediately and halt further settlement expansion in the West Bank.
“We urge the Government of Israel to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank. Not only will they take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel’s international standing,” the statement said.
The seven governments also warned companies against bidding for construction contracts connected to the E1 project.
“Businesses should not consider bidding for construction tenders. They should be aware of legal and reputational consequences including the risk of involving themselves in serious breaches of international law.”
The countries reaffirmed their support for a negotiated two-state solution and said they would continue working towards that goal.
Israel’s Housing Ministry published a tender on 18 August for more than 1,200 housing units under the E1 project, according to reports citing Israeli settlement monitoring group Peace Now.
The wider E1 project, east of Jerusalem and close to the Israeli settlement of Ma’ale Adumim, includes plans for around 3,400 homes.
The project has attracted international attention because of its location between Jerusalem and the wider West Bank.
Critics say development in the area would restrict geographical continuity between northern and southern parts of the West Bank and make a future two-state settlement more difficult.
The latest condemnation follows a broader international statement issued on 21 August 2025, after the Israeli Higher Planning Committee approved plans for settlement construction in E1.
That statement was signed by the foreign ministers of 26 countries, including Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Japan, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
The EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the European Commission also joined the statement.
At the time, the signatories described the approval as “unacceptable and a violation of international law” and called for its immediate reversal.
They also warned that the project risked undermining security, fueling further violence and instability and making a two-state solution more difficult to achieve.
“The Israeli government must stop settlement construction in line with UNSC Resolution 2334,” the 2025 statement said.
The countries also urged Israel to remove restrictions affecting the finances of the Palestinian Authority.
The West Bank, including East Jerusalem, was captured by Israel from Jordan during the 1967 Middle East war.
Since then, hundreds of thousands of Israelis have moved into settlements built across the territory, where millions of Palestinians also live.
The UN and much of the international community consider Israeli settlements in the West Bank illegal under international law. Israel disputes that position and cites historical and biblical connections to the land.
The E1 project has drawn particular scrutiny because of its potential impact on the geography of any future Palestinian state and the prospects for a negotiated two-state solution.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
The UK and Azerbaijan are working to finalise a strategic partnership framework covering political, economic and defence cooperation, the new British Ambassador to Azerbaijan Duncan Norman said on Friday.
Armenia says it will pursue a balanced foreign policy, deepen regional ties and push to institutionalise peace with Azerbaijan under its new government programme.
Pakistan is deepening engagement with Syria’s new leadership as Israeli strikes add fresh pressure on the country’s fragile political transition, with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani concluding a landmark visit to Islamabad.
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul seeks Belarusian machinery and support to develop domestic manufacturing.
Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan are drawing up a new programme aimed at boosting bilateral trade to $1 billion by 2030, as the two countries move to deepen economic and industrial ties.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment