live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said residential buildings, warehouses, non-residential facilities and a children’s hospital were damaged in the attack. Parts of the capital were also left without power, while emergency crews worked to rescue people trapped inside buildings.
A Reuters witness reported hearing more than a dozen explosions in the city.
Ukraine’s emergency services released footage showing firefighters battling flames and helping residents escape damaged buildings following the overnight strikes.
Poland, a NATO and European Union member bordering Ukraine, said it had launched preventive military aviation operations to protect its airspace as Russia carried out strikes on Ukraine.
The Polish military said in a statement, “These actions are of a preventive nature and are aimed at securing airspace and its protection, especially in areas adjacent to threatened regions.”
Poland said ground-based air defence systems and radar reconnaissance had also been placed on alert.
Romania, which also neighbours Ukraine, said a drone crashed into an uninhabited area in the county of Tulcea, during the latest Russian attack on Ukraine.
The attack comes as Ukraine continues to call on allies for additional air defence systems and interceptor missiles to counter Russian missile strikes.
Meanwhile, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says Kyiv has submitted proposals to U.S. negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner as part of efforts to end the war.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said Moscow had not received specific new proposals for possible meetings with U.S. negotiators. Speaking to the Izvestia newspaper, Zakharova said Russia remained ready to arrange talks at short notice.
Russia and Ukraine have continued exchanging attacks almost daily since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, while diplomatic efforts involving the United States and European countries have so far failed to secure a lasting ceasefire.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
The grandmother of five-year-old Palestinian girl Hind Rajab has rejected an Israeli military investigation into her killing, saying the family does not trust the Israeli judiciary and calling instead for an independent international probe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment