Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
NATO member Romania reported on Friday that a Russian drone injured two people in the southeastern city of Galati during an overnight attack on neighbouring Ukraine. The incident marks the first time in the war that a drone has struck a densely populated area in Romania and caused injuries.
The drone hit the roof of a 10-storey block of flats, causing an explosion and sparking a fire, authorities said. Emergency crews evacuated around 70 residents from the building. A woman and her child were taken to hospital with minor injuries, while two others were treated on site for panic attacks.
Romania, which shares a 650-kilometre land border with Ukraine, has experienced 28 instances of Russian drones breaching its airspace since Moscow began targeting Kyiv’s ports along the Danube River, according to the country’s defence ministry.
Drone fragments have fallen in Romania on 47 occasions, prompting officials to warn residents in border counties Braila, Galati, and Tulcea to take cover during recent incursions.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said he had spoken with Romanian authorities, affirming the alliance’s support: “I assured [Romanian officials] of NATO’s absolute solidarity with Romania and expressed sympathy for those injured in the incident. I affirmed that NATO stands ready to defend every inch of Allied territory… Russia’s reckless behaviour is a danger to us all. They continue to target civilians and civilian infrastructure across Ukraine.”
“Romania will take the necessary diplomatic measures in response to this serious violation of international law and its airspace,” Romanian Foreign Minister Oana Toiu said on X. She added that NATO allies had been informed and that Romania had requested expedited support for anti-drone capabilities.
The defence ministry said two F-16 fighter jets and a military helicopter were scrambled to monitor the attack. Pilots were authorised to shoot down any drones if necessary, though Romanian law allows such action only when lives or property are at risk.
EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen also condemned the attack, stating: “Russia’s war of aggression has crossed yet another line. A Russian drone incursion struck a densely populated area in Romania, injuring civilians. We stand in full solidarity with Romania and its people… We are preparing a 21st package of sanctions.”
Deputy Interior Minister Raed Arafat, who oversees the emergency response agency, reported that the drone damaged two stairwells and five cars. The entire explosive payload detonated, and the fire was extinguished without further casualties.
In a separate incident, authorities found a drone without an explosive charge near Basesti in northern Romania. The unmanned aircraft, with a wingspan of about three metres, was secured while officials investigated its origin and how it entered Romanian territory.
The incident comes amidst rising concerns about the war spilling across Ukraine’s borders. Ukrainian drones have recently strayed into Baltic airspace, heightening tensions with Russia.
Meanwhile, in southern Ukraine, Izmail port in the Odesa region - a strategically important site on the Danube - came under drone attack early on Friday. The city lies close to the Romanian border and is frequently targeted due to its strategic value.
Galati itself was last hit in April, when a drone damaged an electricity pole and a household annex, prompting evacuations. Authorities remotely detonated the unexploded device at the time.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment