Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
The Trump administration has released a previously classified legal opinion on Tuesday, setting out its justification for the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and U.S. military operations carried out inside Venezuela.
The document, issued by the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC), details the administration’s legal reasoning amid growing domestic and international criticism of the operation.
The opinion argues that the U.S. president acted within his constitutional authority by authorising military strikes and the detention of Maduro, and that the action did not amount to war in a constitutional sense.
According to the memo, the operation "did not rise to the level of war", meaning prior authorisation from Congress was not required.
The OLC characterises the operation as a law-enforcement action, arguing that Maduro was subject to criminal charges in the U.S., including drug-trafficking offences.
On that basis, the use of military force is described as incidental to a law-enforcement objective rather than an armed conflict between states.
The memo also addresses international law concerns. Under the United Nations Charter, the use of force against another state is generally prohibited unless authorised by the UN Security Council or justified as self-defence.
Venezuela’s government has condemned the U.S. action as a violation of its sovereignty.
The administration’s reliance on domestic law-enforcement principles has drawn scrutiny from legal analysts. Some have noted that U.S. court precedents allowing trials to proceed after arrests abroad do not necessarily legitimise the manner in which a suspect is captured, particularly when military force is used.
The Justice Department said the release of the memo was intended to promote transparency and clarify the legal basis for the administration’s decisions.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment