live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Appearing in a Manhattan courtroom after a U.S. military operation, Nicolás Maduro has denied narcotics and terrorism charges, as his vice president was sworn in as Venezuela’s interim leader in Caracas.
At a hearing on Monday, the man who has ruled Venezuela since 2013 described himself as a "decent man" who had been "kidnapped", before being cut off by the judge.
The arraignment has plunged U.S.-Venezuelan relations, international law and the future of the oil-rich nation into uncharted territory.
Wearing orange and beige prison clothing, Maduro, 63, told the court through an interpreter: "I am innocent. I am not guilty… I am still president of my country."
He and his wife, Cilia Flores, who also pleaded not guilty, listened through headphones as Alvin Hellerstein, a U.S. district judge, outlined four criminal counts.
The charges include overseeing a cocaine-trafficking network in coordination with international drug cartels, conspiracy to import cocaine and possession of machine guns.
Outside the courthouse, dozens of demonstrators both supporting and opposing Maduro gathered, reflecting deep divisions over his rule.
His lawyer, Barry Pollack, said he expected "voluminous and complex litigation" over what he described as his client’s "military abduction".
As Maduro was being processed by the U.S. justice system, a rapid political transition was under way in Caracas. Hours after the hearing, Vice President Delcy Rodriguez was sworn in as interim president.
While offering support for her predecessor, Rodriguez gave no indication that she would challenge the U.S. military operation.
U.S. officials say the move forms part of a calculated strategy by President Donald Trump’s administration.
A recent U.S. intelligence assessment, reported by the Wall Street Journal, said Rodriguez was viewed as best placed to lead a temporary government capable of maintaining order.
Trump: Venezuela under U.S. control until stability restored
U.S. captures Maduro, Trump vows temporary control of Venezuela
The operation has raised serious legal questions internationally.
The United Nations Security Council met to debate the raid, which was condemned by Russia, China and several of Venezuela’s leftist allies as a violation of national sovereignty.
U.S. officials have rejected the criticism. White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller told CNN: "The United States of America is running Venezuela," adding: "We set the terms and conditions."
President Trump said U.S. oil companies including Exxon Mobil, ConocoPhillips and Chevron would return to help rebuild Venezuela’s oil infrastructure, a process he suggested could be subsidised by Washington.
However, Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said a congressional briefing on the plan was "vague, based on wishful thinking and unsatisfying", underlining divisions in Washington over the long-term strategy.
Maduro’s next court appearance is scheduled for 17 March.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment