live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday (4 January) that the United States could carry out further military action in Venezuela following the capture of President Nicolás Maduro. Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, he said Washington now effectively controls the country.
President Trump warned that remaining members of Venezuela’s leadership must cooperate with Washington, saying, “We are ready to stage a second and much larger attack if we need to do so.”
He said the United States would work with figures still in power to reshape the country’s institutions rather than immediately install a new government.
According to President Trump, elections in Venezuela would only be held once stability had been restored, with the United States determining the timing and conditions.
He defended the military operation that led to Maduro’s detention as necessary and justified, describing Venezuela as a “narco-terror state” and accusing its leadership of facilitating drug trafficking and mass migration to the United States.
Maduro, 63, was flown to New York and placed in a federal detention centre, where he is due to appear in court on Monday on drug trafficking and narco-terrorism charges first filed by U.S. prosecutors in 2020, U.S. officials said.
Additionally, Trump said U.S. oil companies would invest billions of dollars to rebuild Venezuela’s oil infrastructure, arguing that American involvement was essential to revive what he described as a “dead country”.
He also claimed the United States had the right to make use of Venezuela’s oil resources as part of the reconstruction process.
Reportedly, the Trump administration had already been in contact with Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodríguez.
President Trump said, she was warned that “if she doesn’t do what’s right, she is going to pay a very big price, probably bigger than Maduro.”
Other regional and foreign policy remarks
Additional comments
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment