live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
The U.S. military said on 8 May that it struck a vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean, killing two people and leaving one survivor, in the latest in a series of controversial maritime operations targeting suspected drug trafficking routes.
United States Southern Command said the boat was operated by “designated terrorist organisations” and was travelling along known narcotics trafficking routes, though it did not identify the groups or provide evidence supporting the claim.
Southern Command said the United States Coast Guard had been notified to assist with search and rescue efforts.
According to the The New York Times, citing a U.S. official, the Mexican navy was leading efforts to locate and recover the survivor. Few survivors have emerged from similar U.S. strikes in recent months.
Washington says the operations are aimed at disrupting narcotics trafficking and targeting what President Donald Trump’s administration describes as “narco-terrorist” networks.
However, human rights organisations and legal experts have raised concerns about the legality of the attacks.
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have described the strikes as “unlawful extrajudicial killings”.
Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union said the administration’s claims against those targeted were “unsubstantiated” and accused officials of using fear-driven rhetoric.
U.S. forces have carried out multiple strikes on vessels in the eastern Pacific in recent weeks. According to available figures, the operations have killed more than 190 people since September.
The Trump administration maintains the vessels were involved in drug smuggling, though critics argue the military has provided little public evidence to justify the lethal use of force.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment