Putin: U.S. sanctions on Cuba are 'unacceptable'
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on ...
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg was pressed for answers in a Los Angeles courtroom as a youth social media addiction case probed how far Meta went in shaping young users’ behaviour on Wednesday.
He repeated that Facebook and Instagram do not permit children under 13 years of age, though the plaintiff’s lawyer put internal documents in front of him that pointed the other way.
Mark Lanier, representing a California woman who began using Instagram and YouTube as a child, challenged Zuckerberg’s 2024 assurances to Congress that users under the age of 13-years old were blocked.
The lawyer read from Meta’s own files while the courtroom watched the exchange.
The woman alleges Instagram and YouTube contributed to her depression and suicidal thoughts, and that both companies pushed products to children despite knowing the risks.
Meta and Google deny the claims.
"If we want to win big with teens, we must bring them in as tweens," one 2018 internal Instagram presentation said.
"And yet you say that we would never do that," Lanier told him.
Zuckerberg said the lawyer was "mischaracterising what I am saying." He added that Meta had explored ideas for versions of its apps for under 13-years but never released them, describing those discussions as attempts to find safer design options rather than recruit children.
The case is part of a growing wave of lawsuits accusing major platforms of harming young people, with Snap and TikTok already settling before the trial began.
In newly surfaced correspondence, Nick Clegg, then Meta’s vice president of global affairs, warned Zuckerberg that "we have age limits which are unenforced" and pointed to inconsistent rules across Instagram and Facebook.
He wrote that such gaps made it "difficult to claim we are doing all we can."
Zuckerberg replied that verifying a user’s age is difficult for any software platform and said responsibility should shift toward mobile device makers.
Zuckerberg also faced pressure over comments he previously made to Congress claiming he did not direct Instagram teams to maximise time spent on the app.
Lanier introduced older emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg called for raising engagement by double-digit percentages.
He acknowledged Meta had once used time-spent targets but insisted the company later changed its approach.
"If you are trying to say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that," he said.
It was Zuckerberg’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s impact on youth mental health. Meta’s lawyers were scheduled to question him later in the day.
The lawsuit sits at the front of a much larger legal push involving thousands of cases filed by families, school districts and states.
They argue the platforms fuelled a youth mental-health crisis and say "big tech" companies should be held accountable.
A verdict against Meta and Google could erode some of the legal protections the companies have relied on for years.
Investigative reporting has previously shown Meta was aware of concerns internally.
Reuters reports that company researchers found that some teens said Instagram made them feel worse about their bodies, and that these teens saw more "eating disorder adjacent content" than others.
Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, told the court last week he was unaware of a recent internal study shown at trial that found no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social-media use.
Teenagers facing difficult circumstances were more likely to use Instagram habitually or unintentionally, the document said.
Meta’s lawyer argued that the plaintiff’s difficulties stemmed from a troubled childhood and said Instagram was often an outlet for creativity.
Australia now bars anyone under 16 from accessing social-media platforms. Other governments are weighing similar steps.
Florida has banned platforms from allowing users under 14-years, though industry groups are challenging the measure in court.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
Qarabağ FK are facing Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
Iranian officials say more than 300 undocumented Afghan migrants have been rescued after being stranded in cold and rain near the border district of Taybad, in the northeastern Razavi Khorasan province.
Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez in the Kremlin on Wednesday, telling him that new restrictions imposed on the communist-run island were unacceptable.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 19th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
The top U.S. military commander for Latin America, General Francis Donovan, accompanied by Senior Pentagon official Joseph Humire, made an unannounced trip to Venezuela on Wednesday for security talks, U.S. officials confirmed.
Eight backcountry skiers have been confirmed dead and one person remains missing after an avalanche struck a guided expedition in California’s Sierra Nevada near Lake Tahoe.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday sought to highlight his outreach to Black Americans during a White House reception marking Black History Month, held months before November’s midterm elections.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment