Trump says Iran not ready to make the 'right deal'
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over th...
U.S. President Donald Trump has condemned but refused to apologise for a racist video briefly posted to his Truth Social account, insisting he had “not made a mistake” and blaming a staff member for uploading the content.
The video showed former president Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama depicted as apes in what appeared to be an AI-generated segment.
The clip, which included music associated with The Lion King, appeared at the end of a longer video amplifying Trump’s false claims that his defeat in the 2020 election was the result of fraud.
A White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a staff member had “erroneously made the post” and that it was later removed. The deletion came hours after White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt dismissed the backlash as “fake outrage”.
Trump later condemned the imagery but again refused to apologise, saying the offensive segment was not reviewed before the post went live and was taken down once identified. Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, he said the staff member responsible had not noticed the material.
The post drew immediate criticism from across the political spectrum. Republican Senator Tim Scott, the Senate’s only Black Republican, wrote on X: “Praying it was fake because it’s the most racist thing I’ve seen out of this White House.”
Republican Representative Mike Lawler also said Trump should delete the post and apologise.
Before the video was taken down, Leavitt said it was “from an internet meme depicting President Trump as the King of the Jungle and Democrats as characters from The Lion King”.
A spokesperson for the Obamas declined to comment.
Former Obama aide Ben Rhodes criticised the post, while civil rights groups also condemned the video. NAACP president Derrick Johnson described it as “blatantly racist, disgusting and utterly despicable”.
Trump has previously shared posts criticised as racist, including false claims about Obama’s birthplace and comments about Somalis and developing nations.
He was also criticised last year for sharing an edited image of Hakeem Jeffries depicting him with a handlebar moustache and a sombrero.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Iran has condemned new U.S. sanctions as “economic terrorism” and “crimes against humanity”, accusing Washington of pursuing a decades-long policy of hostility. Tehran said the measures would not weaken its resolve to defend its sovereignty and national interests.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Business Europe launches today, taking viewers inside the companies driving growth and innovation across Europe, with Brickken CEO Edwin Mata joining the programme for its first episode.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
The United States has imposed 50% tariffs on a range of Canadian goods after Washington and Ottawa failed to reach a new trade agreement, with both sides accusing the other of derailing negotiations at the final stage.
Türkiye has asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a criminal case linked to Israel’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza, Justice Minister Akın Gürlek said on Friday.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment