U.S. envoy's Israel remarks draw regional condemnation
Comments by U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee suggesting that Israel had a biblical right to much of the Middle East drew condemnation over the ...
American Airlines plans to resume flights to Venezuela for the first time in more than six years, pending government approval and security assessments. The move follows recent developments involving U.S. military action in the country, the airline said on Thursday (29 January).
The flight company had suspended its service to Venezuela in 2019 after the United States barred flights. The carrier said planned daily flights would support business, leisure and humanitarian travel. It began operating in Venezuela in 1987 and was once the largest U.S. airline in the country.
United Airlines declined to say whether it would resume flights, while Delta Air Lines did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Late Thursday, U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy rescinded a 2019 order that barred U.S. airlines from flying to Venezuela, after U.S. President Donald Trump directed him to make the move.
In his directive, Duffy said "the continued suspension of air service is no longer required by the public interest."
Trump's request came after a discussion with the country's acting President Delcy Rodríguez.
"American citizens will be very shortly able to go to Venezuela, and they'll be safe there," Trump said.
Flights are unlikely to resume for several weeks or months, as the FAA must conduct safety assessments and the Transportation Security Administration is expected to carry out security reviews.
“We look forward to facilitating the return of regular travel between the U.S. and Venezuela,” the FAA said on Thursday (29 January).
The Transportation Department must also formally rescind a separate 2019 order issued in consultation with the Department of Homeland Security and approved by the Secretary of State.
The State Department had added Venezuela to its “Do Not Travel” list in December.
The FAA warned airlines on 16 January to exercise caution when flying over Mexico, Central America and parts of South America due to risks linked to potential military activity and GPS interference.
On Thursday, the FAA lifted those caution notices for Mexico, Central America, Ecuador, Colombia and parts of eastern Pacific airspace, saying they were no longer necessary.
Last month, a JetBlue aircraft bound for New York took evasive action to avoid a mid-air collision with a U.S. Air Force tanker near Venezuela that did not have its transponder activated.
A seven-month-old Japanese macaque has drawn international attention after forming an unusual bond with a stuffed orangutan toy after being rejected by its mother.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of on Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Spain’s rail network faces a three-day shutdown this week as the Semaf union protests safety failures following fatal accidents in Adamuz and Catalonia.
Winter weather has brought air travel in the German capital to a complete halt, stranding thousands of passengers as severe icing conditions make runways and aircraft unsafe for operation and force authorities to shut down one of Europe’s key transport hubs.
Air China has announced that it will operate around 70,000 flights during the 2026 Spring Festival travel rush, as China prepares for another surge of holiday travel during its most important annual celebration.
Rome has begun charging tourists 2 euros to step down to the Trevi Fountain’s basin area, a measure aimed at easing overtourism and funding maintenance.
Dozens of beaches along Australia's east coast, including in Sydney, closed on Tuesday (20 January) after four shark attacks in two days, as heavy rains left waters murky and more likely to attract the animals.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment