Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found ...
Australia's government said on Tuesday that Meta, Alphabet’s Google and TikTok could be penalised unless they negotiate payments with local media outlets for news carried on their platforms.
Under a proposed “News Bargaining Incentive”, the tech giants would face a 2.25% levy on Australian revenues if they fail to strike deals, with proceeds redirected to support domestic journalism.
Communications Minister Anika Wells said it was only fair that large digital platforms contribute to the journalism that drives engagement and revenue on their services, warning that companies choosing not to make deals “will end up paying more.”
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese brushed off concerns about possible backlash from U.S. President Donald Trump, saying Australia would act in its national interest.
The levy would apply from the 2025–26 financial year to platforms with significant Australian operations and local revenues exceeding A$250 million, capturing Meta, Google and TikTok.
Funds would be distributed to news organisations based on journalist headcount, with greater incentives for agreements involving smaller outlets. Major Australian media groups welcomed the plan, calling it vital to the future of local journalism.
Meta and Google criticised the proposal, describing it as a digital services tax and arguing that it could make news organisations dependent on government support. TikTok declined to comment.
Australia is not alone in requiring large technology platforms to pay news publishers but its proposed approach is among the most aggressive so far. Countries such as Canada and France already require Google, Meta and other platforms to strike payment deals with media outlets, while the European Union relies on copyright and antitrust rules to compel licensing agreements.
No other country currently uses a standing tax as a fallback, making Australia’s model one of the toughest enforcement mechanisms yet - and one closely watched by governments and technology firms worldwide.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Three people have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, including a security guard while the two suspects were later found dead after the attack, authorities have confirmed.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment