‘Target Yerevan’ documentary examines alleged Ocampo-linked influence network ahead of Armenian elections
A new documentary by AnewZ Investigations titled 'Target Yerevan' is set to premiere in Baku soon, examining allegations surrounding former...
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
This live blog is now closing. Here are some of our top stories:
Read More:
WUF13 opens in Baku with focus on housing, resilience and global urban reform
Taiwan leader warns sovereignty will not be compromised after Trump‑Xi talks
Russia says Ukrainian drone attack on Moscow leaves four dead
WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda global emergency
Saudi Arabia’s defence ministry says it has intercepted three drones launched from Iraq after they entered the kingdom’s airspace.
U.S. President Donald Trump has warned Iran to act quickly or face consequences, saying “the clock is ticking” in a post on social media.
“For Iran… they better get moving fast, or there won’t be anything left of them,” he said, adding that “time is of the essence.”
Saudi Arabia has strongly condemned the drone attack that targeted the UAE’s Barakah nuclear power plant, according to a statement from the foreign ministry.
Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip killed at least four Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials.
Medics said one person was killed near a police post in Khan Younis in the south. The Israeli military said it had targeted a militant who posed an immediate threat.
In a separate incident, at least three people were reported killed in an airstrike near a community kitchen close to Al‑Aqsa Hospital in Deir al‑Balah. Israel has not commented on that strike.
The latest casualties come as Israel intensifies operations in Gaza after shifting focus from recent strikes in Iran, with the military saying Hamas fighters are strengthening their presence. Hamas has also confirmed the killing of senior commander Izz al‑Din al‑Haddad in a separate strike on Friday.
Authorities in Abu Dhabi say crews have brought a fire under control after a drone strike hit an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra region.
Officials said no injuries were reported and radiation levels remain normal. The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed the plant’s core systems are operating as usual.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said it is monitoring the situation and remains in close contact with UAE authorities.
The incident comes amid heightened regional tensions, with the UAE previously targeted by missile and drone attacks during the ongoing Israel‑U.S.-Iran conflict.
Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said his personal relationship with U.S. President Donald Trump could help attract U.S. investment, reduce tariffs and prevent sanctions, while also strengthening respect for Brazilian democracy.
In an interview with the Washington Post, Lula said that despite political disagreements over Iran, Venezuela and Palestine, his differences with Trump do not affect their state-to-state relationship.
He stressed that he expects Brazil to be treated with respect as a democratically governed country.
Lula also said he has openly told Trump he opposes war with Iran and disagrees with U.S. interventions in Venezuela, while condemning what he called the “genocide” in Gaza.
Authorities in Abu Dhabi responded to a fire caused by a drone strike on an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, according to the Abu Dhabi Media Office.
No injuries were reported, and officials said radiological safety levels were unaffected. The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed the plant’s essential systems are operating normally.
The statement did not attribute responsibility for the suspected attack.
The UAE has previously faced missile and drone strikes during the wider Iran-related conflict, with several incidents targeting energy and maritime infrastructure in the region.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun asked Iran for its position on the recent attack on a South Korean cargo vessel near the Strait of Hormuz during a phone call with his Iranian counterpart on Sunday, Seoul’s foreign ministry said.
A South Korean official had earlier said the likelihood that any actor other than Iran was responsible for the attack was low, though Seoul has stopped short of formally assigning blame while investigations continue.
Internet monitoring group NetBlocks said Iran’s nationwide internet blackout has entered its 79th day and 12th consecutive week, describing the restrictions as a mass-censorship measure reshaping civic participation in the country.
In a post on X, NetBlocks said the prolonged shutdown has relegated much of the Iranian public to “mere observers in their own country” through strict information controls and severe limits on global connectivity.

Kazakhstan has delivered 30 wagons of humanitarian aid to Iran, according to Tasnim news agency, as the country continues to face severe economic strain after months of war with the United States and Israel.
The shipment, ordered by Kazakhstan’s president, included canned food, flour, sugar, medical supplies and medicines, and was handed over to the Iranian Red Crescent at Sarakhs railway station.
Kazakh ambassador to Iran Ontalap Onalbayev said Iran remains an important partner and added that “true friends are known in difficult times.”
Iran’s economy has been hit hard by war disruptions, with inflation reported at around 53.7% and food prices rising more than 115% year-on-year.
Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani held a phone call with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan to discuss regional developments, including the U.S.-Iran ceasefire and broader de-escalation efforts, according to a Doha statement.
The officials reviewed bilateral ties and ongoing mediation initiatives aimed at preventing renewed escalation in the region.
Sheikh Mohammed stressed the importance of addressing the root causes of the crisis through dialogue to reach a sustainable agreement.
Russia’s permanent representative to international organisations in Vienna, Mikhail Ulyanov, has warned that the United States and Israel may be failing to learn from past “strategic mistakes,” responding to reports of possible renewed strikes on Iran.
In a post on X, Ulyanov reacted to a New York Times report suggesting the two countries are preparing contingency plans for a possible resumption of military action, though no final decision has been made.
The report said U.S. President Donald Trump has not yet decided on next steps, while U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said Washington has prepared plans to “escalate if necessary.”
Russia’s permanent representative to international organisations in Vienna, Mikhail Ulyanov, has backed China’s call for a permanent ceasefire to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, saying Moscow “fully shares such an approach” in a post on X.
Ulyanov referenced Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s remarks that resolving tensions in the strait requires a comprehensive and lasting ceasefire between Washington and Tehran.
The statement stressed that “force cannot solve problems” and dialogue remains the only viable path.
Iran said it had received messages from the United States indicating Washington was willing to continue talks, despite stalled negotiations and escalating pressure linked to the conflict.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran would welcome Chinese involvement in diplomacy but remained distrustful of Washington after previous talks were interrupted by airstrikes.
Pakistan continues to mediate between the two sides.
Meanwhile, Iran’s judiciary said 39 people had been executed since the war began on charges linked to espionage, terrorism or unrest, while dozens of others received prison sentences.
Iranian lawmaker Ebrahim Azizi said Tehran has prepared a new mechanism to manage traffic through the Strait of Hormuz along a designated route that will be unveiled soon.
Azizi, who heads the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, said only commercial vessels and parties cooperating with Iran would benefit from the system, which would include specialised services and related fees.
Iran has effectively restricted non-Iranian shipping through the strait since the start of the U.S.-Israeli attacks, while Washington has imposed a separate blockade on Iranian ports.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed that Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, though Beijing gave no public indication it would pressure Tehran.
Speaking after talks in Beijing, Trump said he was considering lifting U.S. sanctions on Chinese oil companies buying Iranian crude, while stressing Washington wanted “the straits open” and Iran to “make a deal.”
China, the largest buyer of Iranian oil, criticised the war as a conflict that “should never have happened.”
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with no injuries or radiation leaks reported. Saudi Arabia also said it had intercepted three drones. Meanwhile President Donald Trump urged Iran to act "fast" as diplomatic efforts stall.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to a 45-day extension of a ceasefire that has reduced fighting between Israel and Hezbollah in southern Lebanon. The agreement came as two days of Washington-facilitated talks concluded with a decision to hold further meetings in the coming weeks.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran has “no trust” in the United States and will only consider negotiations if Washington shows seriousness. His remarks came as talks on Iran’s nuclear programme continued, with Trump and Xi also opposing Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.
The U.S.-Israeli war with Iran loomed over U.S. President Donald Trump's visit to China, as signs emerged that the conflict is causing a shift in alliances across the Middle East.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment