Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Australia’s eSafety regulator has asked gaming companies, including Microsoft and Roblox, to explain how they are protecting children from sexual exploitation and radicalisation.
Companies including Roblox, Minecraft, Epic Games’ Fortnite and Valve’s Steam have been issued with legally enforceable transparency notices by the eSafety Commissioner’s office. The notices require details on safety systems, staffing and cybersecurity measures and were issued on Wednesday (22 April).
Julie Inman Grant, the eSafety Commissioner, said gaming platforms are a major social space for children, noting nine in 10 Australians aged eight to 17 have played online games. She added they also carry significant risks.
“What we often see after these offenders make contact with children in online game environments, they then move children to private messaging services,” Inman Grant said in a statement.
Encrypted messaging can become the first point of contact between children and offenders involved in grooming, sexual extortion and radicalisation.
"Predatory adults know this and target children through grooming or embedding terrorist and violent extremist narratives in gameplay, increasing the risks of contact offending, radicalisation and other off-platform harms," she added.
Companies must comply with the notices or face penalties and potential civil action.
Microsoft said it is reviewing the regulator’s notice and takes children’s online safety seriously. A spokesperson said via email: “we continue to evolve our approach to meet the evolving threat and regulatory landscape.”
Roblox did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The move comes amid increased scrutiny of how gaming platforms detect threats to minors, with real-time chats between users harder to moderate than traditional social media.
Roblox, one of the companies targeted by Australian authorities, is embroiled in legal action. On Tuesday it reached settlements in the U.S. states of Alabama and West Virginia over allegations it failed to protect children, agreeing to pay more than $23 million and make changes to chat and gaming features.
The company is also facing more than 140 lawsuits in U.S. federal courts accusing it of knowingly facilitating child sexual exploitation.
As it grapples with these legal challenges, Roblox last week said it would introduce tailored accounts for younger users from June, assigning children aged five to eight to “Roblox Kids” and users aged nine to 15 to “Roblox Select.”
Read more:
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment