live Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
Australia has launched legal action against U.S. chemicals giant 3M, seeking more than $1.4 billion over contamination linked to firefighting foam containing PFAS chemicals, widely known as “forever chemicals”.
The federal government said the lawsuit, filed against 3M and its Australian subsidiary, is the largest claim ever brought by the country. Officials argue the contamination has caused lasting environmental, financial and social harm.
Attorney-General Michelle Rowland described the case as a major step for the government.
“Make no mistake, this legal action against 3M is significant,” she told reporters on Thursday.
“The Commonwealth is seeking more than $1.4 billion in damages to recover significant past and future expenses incurred in investigating and managing contamination resulting from the historical storage and use of this foam.”
PFAS chemicals were used for decades in firefighting foams because they resist heat and water. Australia’s Defence Department used the products at 28 military sites across the country.
The government claims 3M assured authorities the foam was safe to dispose of, biodegradable and non-toxic. However, officials allege the company failed to disclose its own testing, which pointed to serious environmental risks.
3M rejected the allegations and said it would defend itself in court.
In a statement, the company said it had never produced PFAS in Australia and had stopped selling the products there around 20 years ago.
“Despite this, the Department of Defence continued to use PFAS-containing firefighting foams for nearly two decades longer,” the company said.
PFAS chemicals do not break down naturally, which is why they are often referred to as “forever chemicals”. Scientists and health experts have raised concerns over their build-up in soil, waterways and the human body.
Studies have linked exposure to PFAS to several health problems, including liver damage, lower birth weights and certain cancers.
Assistant Defence Minister Peter Khalil said the government had already spent around $924 million responding to the contamination. That figure includes $290 million paid in settlements to communities affected by pollution near defence sites.
Authorities have also removed or treated more than 200,000 tonnes of contaminated soil and cleaned more than 13 billion litres of water.
“This is the most significant legal action undertaken by Commonwealth and Defence in living memory,” Khalil said.
“To put it plainly, we are taking on 3M on behalf of the Australian people and the Australians that are affected.”
The lawsuit adds to mounting legal pressure on 3M over PFAS pollution around the world. In 2023, the company agreed to pay at least $10.3 billion to settle claims from U.S. public water systems over contaminated drinking water.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to nearly 4,500, including more than 2,060 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
Cancer patients in Sudan are struggling to access life-saving treatment as soaring medication costs, power shortages and damaged hospital infrastructure deepen the country's healthcare crisis after more than three years of war.
The world risks a resurgence of the HIV epidemic after international funding fell by nearly a fifth last year, according to a new report from UNAIDS, which warned that decades of progress against the disease could be reversed without renewed global support.
A global shift towards healthier diets, more efficient farming and reduced food waste could cut greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture-related land-use change by 85% by 2050, according to a study published last week in the journal Nature.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment