Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Australia warned on Monday (3 August) of a wider spread of H5N1 bird flu after its first confirmed mass mortality event among seabirds killed about 50 greater crested terns off the coast of South Australia, south of Adelaide.
Agriculture Minister Julie Collins said testing confirmed H5N1 in a group of 49 dead and 35 sick terns found during helicopter surveillance on rocks off Cape Jaffa, about 250 kilometres from Adelaide, on Friday.
“Australians should expect to see more spread and larger numbers now of wildlife being affected,” Collins told reporters in Canberra.
She said it was the first confirmed mass mortality event in Australia, warning that once H5 bird flu spreads through wildlife and the natural environment, significant losses cannot be avoided.
Australia has recorded 74 confirmed cases across the country, from Western Australia to Queensland, although most have been in South Australia, Collins said.
There is no evidence so far of the virus on Australian farms, many of which have tightened biosecurity measures to protect poultry flocks since H5N1 was first detected in June.
Australia and New Zealand, which confirmed its first H5N1 case last month, have spent years preparing for the virus through enhanced farm biosecurity, shorebird testing, vaccination of vulnerable species and response planning exercises.
The virus has killed hundreds of millions of birds and mammals in recent years, caused billions of U.S. dollars in losses for poultry farmers, infected cattle in the U.S. and left beaches littered with the bodies of birds and seals.
H5N1 bird flu can infect humans who come into contact with infected animals, but global case numbers remain low and health officials say the risk to the public remains low.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia has confirmed its first case of H5N1 bird flu in a mammal after the virus was detected in a dead long-nosed fur seal in South Australia, authorities said.
Malaysia is facing a sharp rise in dengue infections, with the capital Kuala Lumpur and the wider Klang Valley emerging as the main centres of concern.
The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak has surpassed 5,000 confirmed cases, with the death toll reaching 2,378, according to the latest government data.
The Democratic Republic of Congo says the number of confirmed Ebola cases has risen to more than 5,000, with more than 2,300 deaths. Delayed detection, weak surveillance, funding shortages and conflict have allowed the virus to spread faster than in any previous epidemic at the same stage.
Cancer patients in Sudan are struggling to access life-saving treatment as soaring medication costs, power shortages and damaged hospital infrastructure deepen the country's healthcare crisis after more than three years of war.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment