Qarabağ FK host Newcastle in Champions League playoff tie
Qarabağ FK will face Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA compet...
Türkiye is considering draft legislation that would prohibit children under the age of 15 from opening social-media accounts, Family and Social Services Minister Mahinur Özdemir Göktaş has said.
“We must not allow social-media platforms to treat our children as commercial commodities,” she told reporters after a Cabinet meeting held this week in capital Ankara.
According to Göktaş, a draft omnibus bill—which includes the proposed social-media ban—will be referred to a parliamentary commission for discussion before the end of the month.
She said the draft legislation would oblige certain social-media platforms to block children under 15 from opening accounts.
The proposal also calls for the establishment of filtering systems to ensure that minors are not exposed to potentially harmful content online, Göktaş added.
She asserted that frequent use of social media can lead to depression, anxiety, and behavioral disorders among children. She also noted that criminal gangs had used social-media platforms to lure minors into criminal activity.
“In this context, the [proposed] regulation can be viewed as a means of protecting children,” the minister said.
She added that her ministry has been discussing the issue for the past year and a half in conjunction with experts, academics, and civil society organisations, along with families and children themselves.
Last year, Australia became the first country to ban the use of social-media platforms—including X, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram—by children under the age of 16.
Following Australia’s lead, a number of other countries are currently mulling the imposition of stricter regulations on social-media use by minors.
Last November, the European Parliament adopted a non-binding recommendation to restrict access to certain platforms by children under 16.
Göktaş said children should be able to benefit from the opportunities afforded by digital platforms. But she also stressed the state’s responsibility to safeguard their mental and emotional well-being.
“Our children are the guarantee of our future,” she said. “Protecting them from all kinds of risks, threats, and harmful content is our top priority.”
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Qarabağ FK will face Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
Meta Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg is expected to testify in a high-profile trial in Los Angeles examining claims that the company’s platforms contributed to youth addiction and mental health harm.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Japan’s parliament has reappointed Sanae Takaichi as the country’s 105th prime minister ten days after a snap general election that handed her party a decisive two-thirds majority in the lower house.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 18th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment