live WUF13 comes to a close as sustainable reconstruction and resettlement feature on final day
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion ...
Entrances to Iran's underground and previously bombed uranium-enrichment plant at Natanz have been struck as part of the U.S.-Israeli military attacks on the country, the United Nations nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEZ) confirmed on Tuesday (3 March).
The underground Fuel Enrichment Plant (FEP) is one of Iran's three uranium-enrichment plants that are known to have been operating when Israel and the United States carried out strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities last June.
"Based on the latest available satellite imagery, IAEA can now confirm some recent damage to entrance buildings of Iran's underground Natanz Fuel Enrichment Plant," the International Atomic Energy Agency said on X.
"No radiological consequence expected and no additional impact detected at FEP itself, which was severely damaged in the June conflict," it added.
The IAEA’s assessment aligns with findings from the U.S.-based think tank, the Institute for Science and International Security, which published a report on Monday. Iran had claimed Natanz was hit on Sunday, but the IAEA noted that any military strikes did not cause major damage.
Earlier, speaking to the IAEA’s 35-nation Board of Governors, Director General Rafael Grossi said, “We have no indication that any of the nuclear installations … have been damaged or hit.
He added that “efforts to contact the Iranian nuclear regulatory authorities … continue, with no response so far.”
Grossi warned that the situation remains “very concerning” and said a potential radiological release could not be ruled out. Such an event, he cautioned, could have serious consequences, including the possible evacuation of people from large urban areas.
He reiterated calls for maximum restraint and urged all parties to return to diplomacy and negotiations. Efforts to re-establish communication channels with Iran’s nuclear regulatory authorities are ongoing but have yet to receive a response.
Meanwhile, Iran’s ambassador to the IAEA said the U.S. and Israel attacked Iranian nuclear facilities yesterday. When asked which sites were hit, he cited Natanz.
"Again they attacked Iran's peaceful, safeguarded nuclear facilities yesterday," Reza Najafi told reporters.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
A Turkish court has effectively removed the main opposition leader, Özgür Özel, in a ruling that has deepened political tensions and rattled financial markets.
A 13-year-old boy was killed in northern Gaza on Thursday (21 May) after an Israeli drone strike hit the town of Beit Lahiya, according to local health officials, as residents reported a renewed increase in Israeli evacuation warnings ahead of attacks.
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan International Investment Forum in Baku this September.
Iran and Pakistan discussed developments in stalled Iran-U.S. negotiations during a visit to Tehran by Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsen Raza Naqvi, amid Islamabad’s ongoing mediation efforts.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment