live Sustainable reconstruction on the agenda as WUF13 comes to a close in Azerbaijan
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum nears an end, Azerbaijan's Pavilion will showcase reconstruction efforts in its liberated territor...
A 13-year-old boy was killed in northern Gaza on Thursday (21 May) after an Israeli drone strike hit the town of Beit Lahiya, according to local health officials, as residents reported a renewed increase in Israeli evacuation warnings ahead of attacks.
Medics said several other people were wounded when a drone dropped a grenade in the area. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on the attack.
The strike comes months after an October ceasefire brokered by U.S. President Donald Trump failed to fully end hostilities between Israel and Hamas. Indirect negotiations between the two sides remain stalled over demands for Hamas to disarm.
People across Gaza say Israeli forces have recently resumed issuing warnings telling civilians to flee buildings and neighbourhoods before strikes - a pattern that had largely eased following the ceasefire agreement.
Witnesses described at least three evacuation warnings over the past two days involving homes and a tent encampment sheltering displaced families.
On Tuesday (19 May), residents in the crowded Mawasi area of Khan Younis said Israeli forces ordered people to leave an encampment before a strike targeted one of the tents. Witnesses also reported a similar warning before a house was bombed in the Bureij refugee camp in northern Gaza.
Ibrahim Ismail, 60, said Israeli forces contacted residents late on Wednesday night and ordered families to evacuate their four-storey building in central Gaza before it was struck.
Nearby homes were also damaged, while two people were reportedly injured.
By Thursday morning, residents had returned to damaged neighbourhoods to search through debris for belongings and clothing. Others used bulldozers to clear roads blocked by rubble from destroyed buildings.
“Look. You work for 30 years and, in five minutes, everything is gone,” Ismail said.
“Don't speak of a ceasefire or truce - it's all lies. War is war.”
Israel’s military has previously said evacuation warnings are intended to reduce civilian casualties before strikes targeting militant groups. It has not publicly explained why the warnings appear to have increased again in recent days.
Despite the ceasefire remaining technically in place, violence has continued across the Strip.
According to Gaza health officials, around 880 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes since the ceasefire began. The figures do not distinguish between civilians and combatants.
The Israeli military says four Israeli soldiers have been killed by militants during the same period.
Israel currently controls more than half of Gaza, while Hamas retains control over a narrow coastal area. Hamas has not released figures detailing how many of those killed were members of its armed wing.
Asian stocks surged on Thursday as some vessels resumed passage through the Strait of Hormuz, while forecast-beating results at Nvidia and a suspended workers' strike at Samsung Electronics lifted shares of chipmakers.
The penultimate day of the World Urban Forum 13 in Baku will see Azerbaijan's Pavilion highlight post-construction efforts in Garabagh and East Zangezur, as well as host events on the future of Baku and architectural education.
At least 21 people have been killed and thousands evacuated after torrential rain triggered flooding, landslides and transport disruption across southern and central China, with authorities warning that more heavy rainfall is expected along the Yangtze River.
Russia’s ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya warned on Tuesday (19 May) that Moscow could retaliate against Baltic states if Ukraine launches military drones from that region. Latvia, the United States and Ukraine responded strongly during a UN Security Council meeting.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics is facing its largest potential labour action in years, with tens of thousands of workers preparing for a prolonged strike over bonuses and profit-sharing at a time when the company is benefiting from a global artificial intelligence (AI) driven chip boom.
Azerbaijan is stepping up efforts to strengthen its position as a regional hub for investment and connectivity ahead of the second Azerbaijan International Investment Forum in Baku this September.
Iran and Pakistan discussed developments in stalled Iran-U.S. negotiations during a visit to Tehran by Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsen Raza Naqvi, amid Islamabad’s ongoing mediation efforts.
President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev held a telephone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday (21 May), with both leaders discussing bilateral ties, regional developments and ongoing peace efforts in the South Caucasus.
Georgia’s parliament speaker has accused Britain of “blatant hypocrisy” after London quietly allowed Russian-origin oil products into the country - a move UK officials had reportedly urged Tbilisi to avoid.
Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will attend a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in the Swedish city of Helsingborg on Thursday and Friday, diplomatic sources said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment