Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
France has rejected claims that South Africa was dropped from the guest list for this year’s G7 summit under pressure from United States, insisting the decision to invite Kenya was its own.
Officials in Paris said the choice reflected diplomatic priorities ahead of a planned visit by President Emmanuel Macron to Kenya later this year, rather than any external influence. France, which is hosting the summit in Evian-les-Bains, near the Swiss border, 15-17 June, has also invited India, South Korea and Brazil.
South Africa, a frequent guest at previous G7 gatherings, said it had been informed of the decision around two weeks ago. Vincent Magwenya, the spokesperson for President Cyril Ramaphosa, said, “We’ve accepted the French decision and appreciate the pressure they’ve been subjected to.”
Despite those remarks, French officials were firm in their denial that Washington played any role.
A White House representative said, “The French, in their capacity as 2026 G7 host, expressed a desire to invite an African nation to the summit. After discussion among G7 members, it was collectively determined that Kenya should be invited. The United States welcomes Kenya’s participation.”
However, relations between Washington and Pretoria have been strained, with President Donald Trump openly critical of South Africa’s domestic and foreign policies and having distanced himself from recent G20 engagements involving the country.
The episode highlights the delicate balancing act facing France as it prepares to host the summit. What was intended to focus on long-term economic stability, such as preventing a global financial crisis and addressing trade imbalances, risks being overshadowed by more immediate geopolitical tensions.
Foremost among these is the escalating conflict involving Iran, which has sent shockwaves through global energy markets and raised concerns about an economic fallout. French officials privately acknowledge that by the time leaders gather in June, the crisis could dominate discussions.
There are also broader questions about the cohesion of the G7 itself. Disagreements within the transatlantic alliance, uncertainty over whether Trump will attend, and criticism from countries such as China - which has dismissed the group as an exclusive “club of rich countries” - all add to a sense of flux.
For now, France is pressing ahead with its plans, presenting the guest list as a reflection of democratic partners committed to international cooperation. But with global tensions rising, the summit may end up shaped less by careful planning and more by events beyond anyone’s control.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment