Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
Hamas has confirmed the death of its armed wing chief, Mohammad Odeh, who was killed in an Israeli strike in Gaza City, according to the Israeli military and Gaza health officials.
Odeh was killed on Tuesday night (26 May) in what Israel described as a targeted operation. Gaza health officials and his family said the strike hit an apartment building in the Rimal district, also killing his wife and son.
Dozens of Palestinians carried Odeh’s body through the streets of Gaza City on Wednesday in a funeral procession that passed through heavily damaged neighbourhoods still scarred by months of fighting.
His body, along with those of his wife and son, was carried through streets lined with bombed-out buildings as mourners gathered to pay their respects.
The Israeli military said Odeh was a senior Hamas figure involved in the group’s intelligence structure and was killed in a precision strike.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Odeh had led Hamas’ intelligence division during the 7 October 2023 attacks on Israel and had recently been appointed to replace a senior commander killed earlier this month.
Just over a week before Odeh’s death, his predecessor, Izz al-Din al-Haddad, was also killed in an Israeli strike as part of Israel’s continued campaign against Hamas leadership.
Sources close to Hamas said Odeh may have been the last remaining senior member of the group’s armed wing leadership council.
Gaza health officials said the strike that killed Odeh, his wife and son also killed at least three other people and wounded more than 20. Rescue teams continued searching through rubble on Wednesday.
At the funeral, a relative, Abu al-Abd Odeh, said the killing would not end Palestinian resistance.
“This journey will not stop and the struggle of the Palestinian people will continue on all levels,” he said at a mosque in Gaza City.
Israel has said its operations are aimed at Hamas commanders involved in the 7 October attacks and at preventing further threats.
Defence Minister Israel Katz said Hamas would no longer control Gaza and suggested that plans for what he called “voluntary migration” could be implemented “at the right time and in the right way”.
Palestinians and rights groups have rejected such proposals, viewing them as forced displacement.
Since the ceasefire in October, Gaza health authorities say around 900 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes, while Israel says four of its soldiers have died in the same period.
Indirect talks between Israel and Hamas on the next phase of the ceasefire remain stalled, including proposals on Hamas disarmament and Israeli troop withdrawals.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
The United Arab Emirates suspended all trade and financial transactions with Iran on Tuesday after saying Iranian missiles had targeted maritime navigation in the Gulf.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment