Deal to reopen Strait of Hormuz expected 'soon' - U.S. official
An agreement between Iran and the U.S. to reopen the Strait of Hormuz is expected "soon," a U.S. official has said. The deal would result in the resum...
Marine Le Pen, leader of France’s far-right National Rally (RN), said on Wednesday that the U.S. had “clearly made a mistake” in launching strikes on Iran, arguing Washington misjudged the resilience of the Iranian regime.
“What I see is that the United States clearly made a mistake, thinking the Iranian regime would fall within a few days. It has not fallen. The Iranian regime is extremely strong,” she told France Inter radio.
Le Pen criticised U.S. President Donald Trump’s war aims as “erratic”, questioning the overall objective of the campaign and adding that “no one knows” what he seeks to achieve.
She warned the conflict has destabilised parts of the Gulf and disrupted global energy supplies, creating wider economic uncertainty.
The RN leader also reiterated her support for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, describing him as a “symbol of resistance” to the European Commission, while insisting her engagement in Hungary was limited to backing political allies during elections.
Her remarks come amid heightened regional tensions following a joint U.S.-Israeli offensive against Iran launched on 28 February. The escalation has reportedly killed more than 1,300 people, including Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei.
Iran has responded with drone and missile strikes targeting Israel as well as countries hosting U.S. military assets, including Jordan, Iraq and several Gulf states, causing casualties and damage to infrastructure while disrupting aviation and global markets.
Separately, Le Pen’s RN recently underperformed in France’s municipal elections, failing to secure control of major cities - an outcome seen as a setback ahead of future national contests.
Le Pen is awaiting a ruling in her appeal against an embezzlement conviction, which could affect her eligibility to run in future elections.
An agreement between Iran and the U.S. to reopen the Strait of Hormuz is expected "soon," a U.S. official has said. The deal would result in the resumption of commercial shipping through the sea passage and the lifting of an American naval blockade on Iranian ports.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 8th of August, covering the latest developments.
U.S. President Donald Trump said negotiations to reopen the Strait of Hormuz are progressing and suggested an agreement with Iran could be reached “soon”.
U.S. President Donald Trump may have to accept concessions he previously opposed if he wants to secure a deal with Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, according to analysts, as negotiators move closer to a temporary agreement.
A U.S. judge has ordered Meta to pay an additional $567 million over claims that its platforms failed to protect children from online harm.
A state of emergency was declared in the district of Summerland, British Columbia, early on Saturday as a fast-moving wildfire swept through western Canada, forcing thousands of residents to leave their homes.
Serbia will continue to support Ukraine’s independence and territorial integrity while seeking closer economic cooperation between the two countries, President Aleksandar Vučić said on Saturday, stopping short of pledging sanctions against Belgrade’s long-time ally Russia.
One year after its launch, the Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity (TRIPP) has emerged as one of the most significant diplomatic and economic initiatives in the South Caucasus, linking peace efforts between Armenia and Azerbaijan with expanding trade and regional connectivity.
A drone entered Bulgarian airspace from Romania on Saturday and exploded near the village of Kardam, Bulgarian Prime Minister Rumen Radev said, adding that there were no casualties or damage to infrastructure.
Russian drone strikes killed a three-year-old boy and his grandparents in a village in the Kyiv region, while another person was killed in an overnight ballistic missile attack on the Ukrainian capital, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Saturday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment