At least 90 miners killed in gas blast at coal mine in northern China
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday a...
Cuba has rejected suggestions that the future of its political system or President Miguel Díaz-Canel’s term was discussed in talks with the United States, after reports Washington wanted him removed from power.
"I can categorically confirm that ... the political system of Cuba is not up for negotiation, and of course neither the president nor the position of any official in Cuba is subject to negotiation with the United States," Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernandez de Cossio told a press conference.
Last week, Cuba announced it had begun talks with the U.S. government amid what it described as an effective oil blockade imposed by President Donald Trump. The move followed Trump’s claim that he could do "anything I want" with Cuba, despite calling it a sovereign neighbour.
Speaking later to a group of foreign activists bringing humanitarian aid to Cuba, Díaz-Canel said Cuba was preparing for a possible U.S. "aggression."
"We're not just crossing our arms. In the first place, we recognise that there could be aggression against Cuba," said Díaz-Canel, who has struck a more defiant tone recently.
He said on social media on Tuesday that "any external aggressor will face an impenetrable resistance."
The New York Times, citing four people familiar with the talks, later reported that the Trump administration was seeking to push Díaz-Canel from power with two years remaining on his term as president and five years left as leader of the Communist Party.
The report said the U.S. proposal would leave untouched the family of former presidents Fidel and Raul Castro. Fidel Castro died in 2016 but Raul Castro, now 94, remains highly influential eight years after handing the presidency over to Diaz-Canel, 65.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said Belarus will not be dragged into the war in Ukraine, while also stressing that Minsk and Moscow would jointly respond to any aggression against them.
Fighting in the Russia–Ukraine war has intensified sharply, with both sides launching significant strikes far beyond the front lines as the conflict enters its 1,549th day.
As the 13th edition of the World Urban Forum ended, Azerbaijan's Pavilion showcased reconstruction efforts in its liberated territories and foregrounded the importance of mine removal in resettlement efforts.
NATO fighter jets were activated on Thursday (21 May) after at least one drone entered Latvian airspace, according to Latvia’s armed forces, marking the latest in a series of security incidents across the Baltic region linked to the war in Ukraine.
A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter over the 2009 Rio–Paris crash, marking a major development in a case that has stretched on for 17 years.
At least 90 miners have died in a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China. The blast occurred on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, according to Chinese state media.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 23rd May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
China already dominates the global rare earth supply chain. Now, scientists have discovered new deposits in northeastern China that could prove cheaper and cleaner to extract than those mined elsewhere in the country.
More than 2,000 people gathered in San Diego this week for funeral prayers honouring three men killed while trying to stop an attack at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, in what authorities are investigating as a suspected hate crime.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations with Iran remain deadlocked over uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz, despite what he described as modest progress in recent talks.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment