Three killed in San Diego Islamic Centre shooting as police confirm suspects dead
Three people, including a security guard, have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, authorities confirmed on Tuesday. Poli...
Thousands of documents linked to the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein have been taken down from the U.S. Justice Department’s (DOJ) website after victims and their lawyers warned that sensitive personal information had been exposed.
Lawyers for Epstein’s victims said flawed redactions in the files revealed email addresses, private financial details and nude images that could identify survivors.
In a statement, victims described the disclosure as “outrageous,” saying it had “turned" the lives of nearly 100 survivors "upside down” and left some facing threats and severe distress.
“We should not be named, scrutinised and retraumatised,” the statement said.
The DOJ said it had taken down all flagged files, attributing the errors to “technical or human error,” and confirmed it was continuing to review additional requests for further redaction.
In a letter to a federal judge, the department said, “All documents requested by victims or counsel to be removed by yesterday evening have been removed for further redaction.”
Lawyers Brittany Henderson and Brad Edwards called the release “the single most egregious violation of victim privacy in one day in United States history,” warning of an “unfolding emergency” that required immediate judicial intervention.
The documents were released under a law passed by Congress requiring the DOJ to publish Epstein-related records while protecting victims’ identities.
UK investigation linked to Epstein allegations
Separately, British police on Tuesday (3 February) launched an investigation into Peter Mandelson, Britain’s former ambassador to the United States, over alleged misconduct in public office following claims he leaked market-sensitive information to Epstein.
London’s Metropolitan Police said the probe followed reports of alleged misconduct, including a referral from the British government.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s administration submitted material for review over whether Mandelson leaked information during the global financial crisis.
Starmer described the alleged actions as “disgraceful.” Hours later, Mandelson announced he would retire from the House of Lords.
A government spokesperson said it stood “ready to provide whatever support and assistance the police need.”
“The Met will continue to assess all relevant information brought to our attention and won’t be commenting any further at this time,” said Police Commander Ella Marriott.
Mandelson has not responded to requests about the allegations. A spokesperson, however, has said Mandelson had no recollection of financial payments, totalling $75,000, from Epstein, as suggested by other emails and media reports.
The emails suggest that in 2009, Mandelson sent Epstein a memo written for former Prime Minister Gordon Brown about possible UK asset sales and tax changes, and in 2010 gave Epstein advance notice of a €500-billion ($590 billion) bailout by the European Union.
Meanwhile, Thames Valley Police separately said it was reviewing a new claim involving former Prince Andrew.
Starmer has also called for the former Prince to testify before a U.S. congressional committee, following new revelations about his links to Epstein.
Asked about the situation at a meeting in Dubai on Tuesday, Prince Edward, said, "It's really important always to remember the victims," echoing previous statements from King Charles and Queen Camilla.
A Thames Valley Police spokesperson said the force was aware of allegations that a woman was taken to an address in Windsor, where the former prince resides, for sexual purposes in 2010.
The woman's lawyer told the BBC over the weekend that the woman, who is not British, was in her 20s at the time and was allegedly sent to Britain by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Mountbatten-Windsor.
He has always denied any wrongdoing.
"We are assessing the information in line with our established procedures," the police spokesperson said, adding that the force takes any reports of sexual crimes extremely seriously.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Three people, including a security guard, have been killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, authorities confirmed on Tuesday. Police said the attack took place at the centre in the Clairemont area, the largest mosque in San Diego County.
At least four people have been killed in protests across Kenya over sharp fuel price rises, as a nationwide transport strike brought parts of the country to a standstill.
Gunmen killed at least 10 people, including women and children, in an attack on a rural community in Nigeria’s northwestern Katsina State, residents said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s upcoming visit to China is expected to focus on strengthening bilateral ties, particularly through expanded trade and economic cooperation.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment