Azerbaijan is setting the rules in a changing South Caucasus
Azerbaijan’s strategic rise is turning it from a transit state into a regional rule-setter, with the Middle Corridor giving Baku growing infl...
Minnesota and Illinois have filed lawsuits against the Trump administration, seeking to block a surge of federal immigration enforcement officers sent into their states following the fatal shooting of a woman by a U.S. immigration officer in Minneapolis last week.
Minnesota’s lawsuit, filed by Attorney General Keith Ellison, names Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem and senior immigration officials as defendants and asks a federal court to declare the deployment of federal agents unconstitutional and unlawful, and to halt the operation with an emergency restraining order.
Ellison accused the administration of racially profiling residents and targeting Minnesota because it is governed by Democrats. He said the presence of thousands of armed and masked federal agents had caused serious harm to the state.
“This is, in essence, a federal invasion of the Twin Cities and Minnesota, and it must stop,” Ellison said.
Illinois filed a similar lawsuit on Monday (12 January). Democratic Governor JB Pritzker said the state was seeking to block what he called the Department of Homeland Security’s “dangerous use of force.” The Illinois case asks a federal court to prevent U.S. Customs and Border Protection from carrying out civil immigration enforcement in the state and to restrict tactics such as the use of tear gas, trespassing on private property and obscuring licence plates.
Minnesota’s lawsuit also calls for limits on federal officers’ conduct, including banning threats or displays of force against people not subject to arrest, requiring visible identification, activating body-worn cameras and prohibiting officers from concealing their faces.
The Department of Homeland Security rejected the accusations, saying Minnesota was a “sanctuary” state that had failed to enforce federal immigration laws. Secretary Noem accused state leaders of putting politics ahead of public safety and vowed to continue the administration’s crackdown.
The legal action follows the killing of Renee Nicole Good, a 37-year-old mother of three, who was shot by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer on 7 January while observing a federal operation in Minneapolis. The Trump administration has said the officer acted in self-defence, while critics and protesters have challenged that account.
Tensions remained high on Monday when ICE agents confronted crowds in Minneapolis during another enforcement action. Reuters witnesses said agents used tear gas and chemical spray after bystanders threw snowballs, before ultimately retreating.
President Trump has defended the deployment of federal officers to cities and states led by Democrats as necessary to combat illegal immigration and crime. Democratic leaders, however, say the actions amount to a politically motivated abuse of power, deepening divisions between the federal government and state authorities.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment