U.S. says $5 bln pledged for Gaza reconstruction as peace council meets
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Wednesday that $5 billion pledged by member states of the Gaza Peace Council will be directed tow...
Latest figures released by the Hong Kong fire department puts the death toll in the apartment complex fire at 65 with around 70 people injured. Ten firefighters also sustained injuries in the incident.
As of Thursday, around 55 people have been rescued by firefighters out of almost 300 people who are unaccounted for.
The city's Chief Executive John Lee while giving an update on the situation said that rescue efforts were still ongoing.
"Despite the complex conditions at the scene, the firefighters' rescue efforts will not stop," he said.
An investigation into the blaze which began on Wednesday afternoon is ongoing with police and firefighters entering the scene to collect relevant evidence.
Hong Kong firefighters eventually brought the inferno under control on Thursday while police said its cause could have been a "grossly negligent" construction firm using unsafe materials.
Rescuers battled intense heat and thick smoke for more than a day after the blaze erupted as they fought to reach residents feared trapped on the upper floors of the Wang Fuk Court housing complex in the northern district of Tai Po.
The eight blocks of the tightly packed complex have 2,000 apartments home to more than 4,600 people in the financial hub struggling to overcome chronic shortages of affordable housing.
"We have reason to believe that the company’s responsible parties were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties," Eileen Chung, a Hong Kong Police Superintendent, said.
Three men from the construction company, two directors and one engineering consultant, had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter over the fire, she added.
Police said in addition to the buildings being covered with protective mesh sheets and plastic that may not meet fire standards.
A firefighter was among the 65 killed, as 45 people remain in critical condition in hospital, Hong Kong police told a press conference before dawn on Thursday.
"The priority is to extinguish the fire and rescue the residents who are trapped," Hong Kong leader John Lee told reporters earlier.
"The second is to support the injured. The third is to support and recover. Then, we'll launch a thorough investigation."
Some 279 people were uncontactable and 900 were in eight shelters, he added.
One 71-year-old resident surnamed Wong broke down in tears, saying his wife was trapped inside.
Harry Cheung, 66, who has lived at Block Two in one of the complexes for more than 40 years, said he heard a loud noise and saw fire erupt in a nearby block.
"I don't even know how I feel right now. I'm just thinking about where I'm going to sleep tonight."
More than 1,200 firefighters are battling to control the flames, along with 304 fire engines and rescue vehicles.
Hong Kong's Transport Department said that a number of roads would remain closed in the area on Thursday morning and 39 bus routes have been diverted.
At least six schools will be closed on Thursday due to the fire and traffic congestion, the city's Education Bureau said.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
President Donald Trump said he will be involved “indirectly” in nuclear negotiations between the United States and Iran in Geneva, as both sides resume diplomacy against a backdrop of military pressure and deep mistrust.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 17th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday sought to highlight his outreach to Black Americans during a White House reception marking Black History Month, held months before November’s midterm elections.
Hungary and Slovakia announced a suspension of diesel exports to Ukraine on Wednesday.
A platoon of Swedish Air Force Rangers is training in Greenland as part of the ongoing “Arctic Endurance” exercise, according to Sweden’s military.
U.S.-mediated talks between Russia and Ukraine in Geneva ended after two days of negotiations that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described as difficult, while signalling progress on the military track.
Millions of Muslims around the world have begun observing Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and the most sacred period in Islam.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment