Israel prepares for possible U.S. green light to strike Iran ballistic missile sites
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system,...
At least 36 people have died in a fire that ravaged a residential apartment complex on Wednesday according to John Lee the chief executive of Hong Kong.
Lee while addressing the press said that up to 279 people have not been accounted for, adding that 29 people are receiving treatment in hospital.
Currently, more than 800 firefighters and 140 fire engines alongside paramedics are attending the scene of the incident.
Local media is quoting Lee as saying that the fire is getting under control. He says that the blaze had been quenched in three out of seven buildings that were on fire.
In a seperate update, Hong Kong's housing minister has announved that around 1400 housing units have been identified and ready for evacuated residents.
A firefighter Ho Wai-ho, 37 has lost his life in the fire after colleagues found him collapsed at the scene of the incident.
He was later taken to Prince of Wales hospital where he died from injuries sustained from the fire. Andy Yeung, director of fire services, in a statement released on Wednesday has condoled with the family of the late fireman.
The Wang Fuk Court housing complex, where the fire started, is home to 2,000 residential apartments. The Fire Services Department told Reuters it does not yet have a figure for the number of people who may still be inside.
Some parts of the complex were undergoing renovation when the fire broke out, however it remains unclear if the fire is linked to renovation works.
One resident surnamed Wong, 71, broke down in tears, saying his wife was trapped inside one of the buildings.
Three people are in critical condition having suffered burns and one is in serious condition, the government said, while others including some fire services staff have also been injured.
BUILDINGS SURROUNDED BY SMOKE AND FLAMES
People gathered on a nearby overhead walkway, watching in dismay as smoke billowed from the buildings, some of which were clad in bamboo scaffolding, with local media reporting the units were under renovation.
Frames of scaffolding were seen tumbling to the ground as firefighters battled the blaze, while scores of fire engines and ambulances lined the road below the complex, according to Reuters witnesses.
Wang Fuk Court is one of many high-rise housing complexes in Hong Kong, which is one of the most densely populated areas in the world. Tai Po, located near the border with mainland China, is an established suburban district with a population of about 300,000.
The complex is under the government's subsidised home ownership scheme. It has been occupied since 1983, according to property agency websites.
Hong Kong is one of the last places in the world where bamboo is still widely used for scaffolding in construction.
The government moved to start phasing out the city’s use of its bamboo scaffolding in March, citing safety. It announced that 50% of public construction works would be required to use metal frames instead.
The fire department said it received reports at 2:51 p.m. (0651 GMT) that a fire had broken out in Wang Fuk Court. It was upgraded to a No. 5 alarm, the highest, at 6:22 p.m.
Hong Kong's Transport Department said that due to the fire an entire section of the Tai Po road, one of Hong Kong's two main highways, has been closed and buses are being diverted.
Five people died after a fire broke out in a densely populated residential building in Hong Kong's bustling Kowloon district in April last year.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Peru’s Congress has voted to censure and remove José Enrique Jeri Ore from his posts as President of Congress and acting President of the Republic, just four months into his tenure, citing undisclosed meetings with Chinese businessmen and alleged hiring irregularities.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 17th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
France celebrated Olympic gold in the men’s biathlon relay in Anterselva on Tuesday (17 February), following a thrilling race marked by an electric atmosphere at the stadium.
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday sought to highlight his outreach to Black Americans during a White House reception marking Black History Month, held months before November’s midterm elections.
Hungary and Slovakia announced a suspension of diesel exports to Ukraine on Wednesday.
A platoon of Swedish Air Force Rangers is training in Greenland as part of the ongoing “Arctic Endurance” exercise, according to Sweden’s military.
U.S.-mediated talks between Russia and Ukraine in Geneva ended after two days of negotiations that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described as difficult, while signalling progress on the military track.
Millions of Muslims around the world have begun observing Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and the most sacred period in Islam.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment