Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Finnish prosecutors have charged the captain and two officers of the Eagle S tanker with aggravated sabotage and telecommunications interference over damage to Finland-Estonia cables in December.
The deputy prosecutor general has filed charges against the captain, first officer and second officer of the Cook Islands-registered oil tanker, Finnish broadcaster YLE reported on Monday. The charges follow a National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) probe into damage to the Estlink 2 power cable and four telecommunications cables in the Gulf of Finland.
Investigators allege the tanker dragged its anchor for around 90 kilometres along the seabed, severing the cables between Finland and Estonia. Authorities suspect the vessel is part of Russia's so-called "shadow fleet," a group of ships believed to be used to bypass oil sanctions on Moscow.
The defendants deny the allegations and argue Finland lacks jurisdiction, claiming the cables were damaged outside Finnish territorial waters.
The incident was one of several suspected hybrid attacks on Nordic telecommunications and energy infrastructure late last year, prompting heightened regional security measures.
According to Finnish officials, the disruptions underscored the vulnerability of critical undersea links that carry power and data between countries in the Baltic region.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment