live Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
The United States has said it “cannot and will not” allow Ebola cases to enter the country as a growing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) continues to raise concerns.
More than 220 suspected deaths and 900 cases have been reported, with the World Health Organization declaring the outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain, a public health emergency of international concern and the third-largest of its kind on record.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio told a Cabinet meeting: “We cannot and will not allow any cases of Ebola to enter the United States.”
The U.S. response marks a shift from the 2014 outbreak, when infected patients were treated in specialised domestic facilities. Officials now say their strategy is focused on containing the virus within the affected region.
Two U.S. officials said Washington is in discussions with Kenya about potentially opening a quarantine centre for exposed American citizens, though the proposal has not yet been approved.
Public health experts have raised concerns. Amesh Adalja of the Johns Hopkins Centre for Health Security said established high-containment facilities in the U.S. or Germany would offer better care.
“I can’t imagine that you can build a facility de novo in Kenya to have that same standard,” he said, noting such centres are equipped to manage complex treatment needs.
He also warned the approach could discourage medical volunteers.
The U.S. has introduced travel restrictions for individuals recently in the DRC and neighbouring countries, and is screening arrivals at three airports, measures some experts say have limited effectiveness.
Chris Meekins, a former U.S. health official, said the strategy reflects capacity constraints.
“What they’re doing here is trying to find options that don’t require bringing people back to the U.S.,” he said.
Canada and the Bahamas announced on Tuesday that they will temporarily restrict entry for residents of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan following an Ebola outbreak in the region.
Canadian authorities said the 90-day measure will come into force on Wednesday and is intended to reduce the risk of Ebola entering and spreading within the country.
The Bahamas said its restrictions would take effect immediately and remain in place for 30 days, pending a review by the country’s health ministry.
The World Health Organisation on Friday elevated the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola developing into a nationwide outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo to “very high”. The organisation also declared the outbreaks in the DRC and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.
Last week, the United States introduced similar measures, barring non-citizens who had recently travelled to the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan from entering the country.
Canada’s public health agency said Canadian citizens, permanent residents and certain foreign nationals who have recently been in affected areas but show no symptoms will be required to quarantine for 21 days from May 30.
The Bahamas also announced enhanced health screening procedures and possible quarantine requirements for foreign nationals who had been in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda or South Sudan within 30 days prior to arriving in the Caribbean nation.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment