South Korea urges stronger defence as Trump orders drills cut

South Korea urges stronger defence as Trump orders drills cut
U.S. Army soldiers move jerrycans at a U.S. army base near the demilitarised zone separating two Koreas, in Dongducheon, South Korea, 18 August 2026.
Reuters

U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.

The ministry and USFK did not immediately comment, but the reports came after U.S. President Donald Trump instructed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the drills just hours before they began on Monday (17 August) and said North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had responded to his outreach.

Earlier on Tuesday, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called for stronger independent defence capabilities. He said annual civil-defence exercises held alongside the joint military drills were defensive and not intended to threaten North Korea.

Lee said Seoul should proceed without disruption with the planned transfer of wartime operational control from the United States during his term, in line with the government's existing plan.

"A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally," Lee said in a cabinet meeting. 

He also called for faster progress on South Korea's nuclear-powered submarine programme and for developing officers capable of integrated operations, as distinctions between battlefields become less clear.

South Korean soldiers operate a 20mm Vulcan cannon during an anti-drone drill in Yangju on 29 December 2022.
Reuters
U.S.-North Korea dialogue

At a National Security Council meeting on Tuesday, Lee said the civil-defence exercises held alongside major U.S.-South Korea military drills were defensive in character.

Lee said South Korea had no intention of using the exercises to attack North Korea or raise tensions on the Korean Peninsula. He added that the drills were aimed at protecting citizens’ daily lives, not targeting any specific party as an enemy.

In a separate briefing on Tuesday, South Korea's National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac said Seoul hoped Trump's message would help revive dialogue between Washington and Pyongyang.

"We hope the friendly relationship between the U.S. and North Korean leaders will lead to meaningful North Korea-U.S. dialogue," Wi told reporters.

Wang Yi visit set to focus on regional security.

Discussions over the joint military exercises come ahead of a visit by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to South Korea on Wednesday and Thursday (19-20 August) for talks expected to cover developments on the Korean Peninsula and regional security issues.

The presidential office has also said it would continue coordinating closely with Washington on the allies' combined defence posture and military exercises.

The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise began on Monday and is scheduled to run through to 27 August.

Tags