South Korea's Lee calls for talks with North Korea to formally end Korean War

South Korea's Lee calls for talks with North Korea to formally end Korean War
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung reacts during an interview with Reuters at the Presidential Office in Seoul, South Korea, 19 September 2025.
Reuters

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has called for direct talks with North Korea aimed at formally ending the Korean War and establishing a permanent peace regime on the peninsula.

Speaking on Saturday during a ceremony marking the 81st anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japanese colonial rule, Lee urged Pyongyang to move away from confrontation and return to dialogue.

“Let us put down our intentions to threaten each other and begin discussions to end the long-running war as the directly involved parties,” Lee said.

The 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty, meaning North and South Korea technically remain at war.

Lee said negotiations could also address “effective ways” to halt further advances in North Korea’s nuclear capabilities as part of efforts to reduce tensions.

Pyongyang remains silent on proposal

North Korea has not publicly responded to Lee’s latest proposal. State media made no mention of his address as of Sunday, instead focusing on its own Liberation Day commemorations.

North Korea has remained hostile to President Lee Jae Myung's overtures despite his efforts to ease tensions, including suspending anti-Pyongyang loudspeaker broadcasts and taking steps to curb the launch of propaganda leaflets by activists.

Pyongyang has said it has no interest in Seoul's proposals or in resuming dialogue, and accused Lee of continuing a confrontational policy by maintaining close ties with the United States.

Relations between the two Koreas remain deeply strained. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has abandoned Pyongyang’s longstanding policy of pursuing reunification with the South and has characterised Seoul as a hostile state.

Lee, who took office last year, has pursued a more conciliatory approach, pledging not to seek unification by absorption and to respect North Korea’s political system while working towards peaceful coexistence.

Offer comes amid renewed tensions

Lee's latest appeal comes amid renewed military tensions. North Korea has carried out two ballistic missile launches this month and recently vowed to strengthen its nuclear deterrent.

Pyongyang has also condemned annual U.S.-South Korean Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which begin on Monday, describing them as a provocation. 

U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday instructed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" 10-day joint military exercises with South Korea as they were about to get underway, citing the cost of the drills and Seoul's refusal to take part in actions against Iran.

Read more:

Tags