Pakistan turns to U.S. crude as Hormuz disruption exposes energy risks
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies....
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
The move by the country’s largest refiner, Cnergyico, comes as Pakistan seeks to diversify its crude supplies after the Iran war disrupted regional shipping. Islamabad is also looking to boost imports from the U.S., narrow its trade imbalance with Washington and secure lower U.S. tariffs.
Cnergyico began importing U.S. crude last year and has brought in about 8.1 million barrels over nine months.
That includes 7.1 million barrels worth about $750 million during the fiscal year that ended in June.
Pakistan’s payments for U.S. imports rose by $914 million to $3.27 billion during that fiscal year, according to central bank data. Cnergyico’s purchases accounted for about 80 per cent of the increase.
The refiner is considering additional spot purchases alongside longer-term supplies from Vitol and other suppliers. U.S. crude imports could rise further if Cnergyico gains access to Islamabad’s proposed EXIM Bank trade finance facility, allowing Pakistani buyers to defer payments to U.S. exporters for up to three years.
Pakistan remains heavily dependent on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates for oil supplies.
Before the war, around 90 per cent of Pakistan’s oil and LNG imports passed through the Strait of Hormuz. That dependence has left the country vulnerable whenever tensions threaten the waterway, one of the world’s most important energy routes.
Pakistan has already sought alternatives. In March, it asked Saudi Arabia to route crude through Yanbu on the Red Sea, bypassing Hormuz. Saudi Arabia has since explored other routes as disruptions continued, including shipments through Yanbu and Egypt’s Sidi Kerir port.
The strategy, however, is not simply about replacing Gulf oil with U.S. crude. Pakistan is seeking both a wider range of suppliers and alternative shipping routes.
Cnergyico is also evaluating a second offshore single point mooring connected to its storage network. The facility would allow large tankers to handle crude and refined products offshore, reducing pressure on Karachi’s constrained ports.
The plan forms part of a $1.2 billion upgrade aimed at meeting Euro V standards, reducing furnace-oil production and expanding refining capacity from 156,000 barrels per day to around 200,000.
Using very large crude carriers to transport U.S. crude could reduce freight costs by 25-30 per cent, while a second offshore mooring could improve vessel turnaround times.
Cnergyico has been operating at an average refinery run rate of only 30-35 per cent amid weak domestic demand. Its expansion plans are therefore a bet that demand for petroleum products will strengthen in the future.
For Pakistan, the bigger issue goes beyond a single U.S. oil shipment. Disruption around Hormuz has exposed the risks of concentrating energy supplies along Gulf routes. Cnergyico’s turn towards U.S. crude, alongside alternative Saudi routes and new offshore infrastructure, shows how that vulnerability is starting to reshape the country’s oil strategy.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
Canada is heading towards another difficult trade deadline, with Prime Minister Mark Carney trying to prevent new U.S. tariffs that businesses warn could cost jobs and weaken already struggling industries
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment