live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Tulsi Gabbard has announced she is stepping down as Director of National Intelligence under President Donald Trump, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis with a rare form of bone cancer and her decision to support him through treatment.
In a resignation letter posted on X, Gabbard said she could not remain in such a demanding role while her husband, Abraham Williams, faced a serious health battle.
“I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming post,” she wrote, adding that she was “deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half.”
The resignation is set to take effect on 30 June.
A White House spokesperson, Davis Ingle, said on X that Gabbard was stepping aside due to her husband’s illness, describing her as “an America First patriot who has served this country faithfully and extremely well over the last 16 months”.
President Trump also paid tribute, saying Gabbard had done “a great job” and acknowledging her decision to step back to support her husband. He confirmed that Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence Aaron Lukas would serve as acting director once her departure takes effect.
However, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters that Gabbard had been pushed out by the White House, adding: “The White House has been unhappy with her for quite some time.”
While the official line has focused on personal circumstances, multiple reports have pointed to tensions between Gabbard and senior figures in the administration.
President Trump had previously suggested differences in approach, including in March when he said she was “softer” on Iran compared with his stance on limiting Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
Sources also told Reuters in April that Gabbard was at risk of losing her position amid a wider cabinet reshuffle. A senior White House official said at the time that the president had expressed dissatisfaction with her performance in recent months, and had consulted allies about possible replacements.
Some officials described a deeper breakdown in relations. One source told Reuters that Gabbard had been “pushed out by the White House”, adding that “the White House has been unhappy with her for quite some time”.
Among reported areas of friction were the activities of her Director’s Initiatives Group, which worked on issues including declassifying material related to the death of former President John F. Kennedy, reviewing election machine security, and examining the origins of COVID-19.
Another point of contention, according to sources, was her decision last August to revoke the security clearances of 37 current and former US officials — a move that reportedly led to the exposure of an undercover intelligence officer’s identity.
Democratic Senator Mark Warner, speaking after an event in Virginia, said the role had become increasingly politicised.
“This position now more than ever needs to be an independent, experienced intelligence professional,” he said, adding that the Director of National Intelligence should focus on foreign intelligence rather than domestic political matters.
President Trump confirmed that Aaron Lukas will serve as acting Director of National Intelligence following Gabbard’s departure.
In his statement, Trump said she had been managing a “tough battle” at home and wished her family well as they navigate her husband’s illness.
Gabbard’s resignation marks the end of a turbulent period in one of the U.S. government’s most sensitive security roles, with her tenure shaped by both policy initiatives and political controversy.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment