Morning Brief - 20 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments. ...
China has expressed strong dissatisfaction over a United States decision to place several major Chinese companies on a Pentagon list of firms alleged to support the country’s military.
In a statement on Saturday, China’s commerce ministry said it “firmly opposes” the move and urged Washington to reverse what it described as “erroneous practices”.
The updated list, released earlier this week by the U.S. Defence Department, includes leading technology and industrial companies such as Alibaba, Baidu, electric vehicle makers BYD and NIO, as well as major solar manufacturers Trina Solar and JA Solar Technology.
The designation reflects longstanding U.S. concerns that China’s private sector plays a role in advancing its military and industrial capabilities.
Chinese officials warned that Beijing would respond if its companies were not treated fairly.
“If Chinese enterprises are not treated fairly, China will inevitably retaliate resolutely and forcefully,” the commerce ministry said.
The statement also accused Washington of undermining recent diplomatic efforts following talks between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, during which both sides agreed to maintain a fragile truce in their trade dispute.
Under U.S. law, American defence agencies will be barred from contracting directly with companies on the list, with further restrictions on indirect procurement set to take effect from 2027.
The expanded list marks a significant escalation in economic and security tensions between the world’s two largest economies.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment