Ukrainian drones kill at least 10 in Russia, six drones downed near Moscow
Ukrainian drone attacks across Russia and Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine killed at least 10 people, Russian officials said, while Russian air de...
NeaNearly 900 Rohingya refugees were reported missing or dead in the Andaman Sea off Myanmar in 2025, making it the deadliest year on record, the United Nations Refugee Agency said on Friday.
More than one in seven of the estimated 6,500 people from the Rohingya ethnic minority who attempted to cross the sea last year either died or remain unaccounted for. This has made the route the world’s deadliest for sea journeys, UNHCR spokesman Babar Baloch told reporters in Geneva.
The dangerous crossings have continued into 2026, with more than 2,800 Rohingya embarking on such journeys up to 13 April this year, Baloch added.
"This sad and tragic trend continues, this sense of desperation among the Rohingya population," he said.
Nearly a quarter of a million Rohingya were forced from their homes into camps in Bangladesh when Myanmar’s armed forces launched an offensive in 2017.
Many from the predominantly Muslim ethnic group reported killings, mass rape and arson during the military campaign.
A UN fact-finding mission concluded the 2017 military offensive had included “genocidal acts”. Buddhist-majority Myanmar has denied genocide.
While the vast majority of Rohingya refugees flee by land, the UNHCR says an increasing number are making perilous journeys by sea, driven by violence at home and overcrowded conditions in refugee camps in Bangladesh.
Many hope to reach safety and better opportunities in countries such as Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.
Of around 25,300 people who embarked on boat journeys from Myanmar between February 2022 and March 2026, more than 2,300 died or went missing en route, according to UNHCR figures.
Despite living in Myanmar’s western Rakhine state for generations, the Rohingya were excluded from full citizenship under a 1982 law that denied certain ethnic groups citizenship, effectively rendering them stateless.
As a result, the Rohingya, who are predominantly Muslim, have faced decades of restrictions on movement, as well as limited access to education and employment in the Buddhist-majority country, which is currently under military rule.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Ukrainian drone attacks across Russia and Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine killed at least 10 people, Russian officials said, while Russian air defences shot down six drones flying toward Moscow early Sunday.
Taiwan President Lai Ching-te has called for continued military strength and national unity during a visit to the sensitive frontline island of Kinmen, saying peace must be protected "through strength."
The European Union’s Civil Protection Mechanism sent helicopters and firefighters to help Serbia fight a massive wildfire in a nature reserve in the northeast of the country, the head of the European Union mission to Belgrade said.
TikTok and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, have agreed to pay $400 million to settle U.S. government allegations that the popular video-sharing app failed to properly protect children’s privacy.
Poland has sharply criticised Israel’s handling of an investigation into the killing of Polish aid worker Damian Sobol, saying the decision to end proceedings has deepened concerns over accountability for the Israeli military’s conduct in Gaza.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment