Ukraine could export billions in military goods in 2026
Ukraine could export several billion dollars of military equipment and services this year after authorising its first wartime foreign sales, a senior ...
Gaza families are watching the Rafah crossing closely as expectations build for a phased reopening under the peace plan. Israel has confirmed the border will reopen on Sunday (1st February), allowing “limited movement of people only.”
The Rafah crossing on Gaza’s southern edge has been closed to regular movement for more than a year, turning what was once the Strip's main civilian route to Egypt into the centre of renewed diplomatic efforts.
The crossing is central to the second phase of the U.S.-brokered peace plan, launched after Israel recovered the remains of the last hostage earlier this month.
Washington says that while preparations for reopening have begun, the scale of access and timing remain unclear as negotiations continue over screening procedures, security control and daily capacity.
Aid agencies warn that any initial reopening will meet overwhelming demand.
Thousands are waiting for medical transfers, residency renewals and family reunification, and officials say humanitarian cases alone would far exceed early capacity at the crossing.
Hospitals across Gaza report growing stress as they handle cases requiring specialised treatment unavailable inside the Strip.
Doctors say the length of the closure has forced them to provide temporary procedures instead of full interventions, and delays risk long-term complications for patients.
Doctors Without Borders staff say shortages of sterile dressings, oxygen and basic supplies have become severe. Coordinator Emily Vandamme said no medical imports have entered since 1 January.
She warned that without renewed access, they will lose patients.
Among those waiting to leave is 14-year-old Maria Abu Aawad, treated at a Doctors Without Borders field hospital in central Gaza.
Relatives say she was severely burned in a strike last September that killed most of her family.
She has undergone months of grafts and temporary treatment, but doctors say the procedures needed to complete her recovery are unavailable locally.
“I'm hoping to travel to complete my treatment so I can go back to normal,” she said.
Her aunt, Manal, says Maria struggles to walk and risks further deterioration if her transfer is delayed.
Staff at the clinic say she is one of many children in similar circumstances.
For families across Gaza, the question of Rafah’s reopening has become deeply personal.
The crossing represents access to medical care, family connection and the first step toward wider movement after months of isolation.
Until an agreement is finalised and dates are set, they continue to wait for the moment the gates open.
Israel is preparing for the possibility of receiving a green light from the United States to launch strikes against Iran’s ballistic missile system, according to Israel’s public broadcaster KAN.
Aghdam’s Qarabag FK experienced a 6–1 defeat to England’s Newcastle United in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League play-off tie in Azerbaijan's capital Baku Wednesday evening (18 February).
Qarabağ FK are facing Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' will hold its first leaders’ meeting on Thursday (19 February) in Washington, D.C., launching an initiative aimed at stabilising Gaza and addressing global conflicts. It's drawn support from regional powers but refusals from several EU countries.
U.S.-mediated talks between Russia and Ukraine in Geneva ended after two days of negotiations that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described as difficult, while signalling progress on the military track.
Ukraine could export several billion dollars of military equipment and services this year after authorising its first wartime foreign sales, a senior government official said. The country is also considering introducing a tax on arms exports.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 20th of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
U.S. President Donald Trump said he would order agencies to begin releasing files on extraterrestrial life and Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena (UAP), calling for more openness while criticising Barack Obama over his recent alien remarks.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran to strike a deal within 10-15 days or face "really bad things," after Geneva talks this week ended without a breakthrough despite claims of progress. The comment comes amid a buildup of military from both sides in the region.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment