live UAE and Saudi Arabia report drone incidents amid Iran conflict deadlock- Middle East conflict
A drone strike caused a fire at the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE, officials said on Sunday, with ...
Iranian authorities have taken steps to disrupt access to Starlink satellite internet, according to users and digital-rights groups, in what appears to be the latest effort to tighten control over people’s access to the internet inside the country.
Starlink, operated by the U.S. company SpaceX, provides high-speed internet and has been used in Iran as an alternative during periods of state-imposed internet restrictions.
Although the service is not officially licensed in the country, terminals have been smuggled in and used by activists, journalists and businesses seeking uncensored access to the web.
Iranian officials have not publicly confirmed that they are targeting the satellite service. However, the government has long warned against the use of unauthorised communications equipment, describing it as a threat to national security.
Internet usage has been hampered in Iran by an internet blackout since Thursday (8 January).
Elon Musk, the chief executive of SpaceX has previously supported providing Starlink access to Iranians during periods of unrest. The service was used during protests in 2022, when the Biden administration worked with Musk to enable satellite internet after the death of Mahsa Amini in police custody sparked nationwide demonstrations.
While on board Air Force one on Sunday (11 January), President Donald Trump said to the press, "We may get the Internet going, if that's possible. We may speak to Elon. Because as you know he's very good at that kind of thing. He's got a very good company.”
Meanwhile over the weekend, Musk’s platform X changed the Iranian flag emoji on the site from the one used since the Islamic Revolution in 1979 to the pre-revolution flag. This is the same flag demonstrators around the world have waved as a protest against the current regime.
President Trump also said the U.S. may meet Iranian officials and was in contact with the opposition, as he weighed a range of strong responses including military options to a violent crackdown on Iranian protests which pose one of the biggest challenges to clerical rule since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in a briefing to foreign ambassadors in Tehran via English translation on Monday that "We are ready for war but also for dialogue."
Trump has warned Iran's leaders that the United States would attack if security forces open fire on protesters.
Iran’s current protests began on 28 December in response to soaring prices, before turning against the clerical rulers.
More than 500 people have been killed since then, U.S.-based rights group HRANA has said, with more than 10,000 people arrested in two weeks of unrest. Iran has not given an official toll.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 18th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment